Roof Rack SMoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bellb3

Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
Im looking to build a smoker for the roof of my 2003 Chevy Caprice Station Wagon. I know this sounds very odd but i do the Gambler 500 and i think it would be cool to be able to go out Gambling all day and then at the end of the day open the smoker and have dinner ready for me and anyone who wants any.

My Question to you is can you make a working smoker that is 12-18 inches in height that still works properly? i would prefer to make it Electric since it will be mounted on top of my moving car, i understand that there may be issues with to much air flow while driving but i can trouble shoot those as they occur. I am fairly new to the smoking game and would like some input for you.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: JC in GB
No advise but very different idea. Interested in others thoughts. Smoked stuff at the end of the day racing around what a thought!

Reactions: Bellb3
Interesting concept. If you go with electric, how would you produce the power needed?

Good seals and insulation are a must for a moving platform.

I would make sure the exhaust is toward the back. You can use the airflow over the car and smoker to help control airflow.

I would add a fan on the intake so you can have consistent flow through the box regardless of vehicle speed.

Just a few thoughts.

JC :emoji_cat:

My Question to you is can you make a working smoker that is 12-18 inches in height that still works properly?

Several companies I've seen make small smokers that fit into a receiver hitch. Have the hitch mounted on the rear of the car so it'll get less wind and be prepared to build some sort of a shield around it to block as much of the wind as possible. I've seen guys with the hitch installed on the front of their trucks with the smoker mounted there. When they get to the job site early in the morning they fire up the smoker and have lunch ready.

Interesting concept....
Robert

Screenshot_20190912-160917_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
In my younger days, I set up a Brinkmann bullet smoker in the (open) back of my truck and smoked meat on the 6 hr drive down to the beach at Galveston. My boss gave me hell for years over my redneck-ness (but he always came back for seconds of my Q).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky