Rolling The Smoke On 12lbs. Of Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Used my standard dry maple cure on 12 pounds of pork bellies
10 day cure in the small fridge downstairs and off the to smoker for some hickory smoke.

AAQ0t2S.jpg

MJhr5gd.jpg

Rolling the smoke
G4Bt4ro.jpg

After about 6 hours we have some fine looking bacon.
sIvfmPw.jpg

Z1qIHgm.jpg

They will sit back in the fridge for a few days before I slice it up and package it.

Beaufitul color! They look great. Care to share your dry maple cure?

Ingredients:
2 oz. Kosher salt (about 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. Cure #1 (aka pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1)
1/4 C. Maple sugar or packed brown sugar
1/4 C. Maple syrup

5 lb. fresh pork belly
(Makes enough for a 5 lb. belly)

Directions:

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add syrup and stir until well combined.
If the mixture is too thick, you can add more syrup to thin it.
xseFqAS.jpg

Rub cure mixture on belly making sure to cover the entire surface. Place skin side down in a 2 gallon sealable bag, and expel all air, and fold the empty end of the bag under so that the belly is in close contact with the bag. During the curing time the belly will release liquid, and it is important that this liquid stay in contact with the meat.
Note - The skin was already removed at the Locker Plant on this one.
xHxlteT.jpg
H7xO4YC.jpg

Refrigerate at 34 – 40°F (the closer to 40°F the better) for 7-10 days, until belly is firm to the touch with no soft spots. During the curing time, turn the bag over once a day or once every other day to redistribute the cure; this is called overhauling.
W0g8hsK.jpg

When belly is fully cured, rinse it thoroughly, and pat it dry. Place it on an inverted rack set over a baking sheet, and air dry uncovered in the refrigerator overnight (12 – 24 hours).
fiW8bkc.jpg

pf1vbux.jpg

Qt0HdnT.jpg

Smoking/Cooking

Once bacon has been “air dried” place into a 120 - 140° preheated smoker with vent half open.
If air dried in the refrigerator, set the bellies out in room temperature for 1 - 2 hours before placing them in the smoker.
The amount of smoke is up to you. I generally will only apply 2-3hours, using maple or hickory.
inKHhg8.jpg

After you have applied your smoke, increase the heat to 160°F, and smoke/cook the bacon until an internal temperature of 150°F is reached.
Or increase the temperature to 150°F, and smoke/cook until an IT of 140°F is reached.
With it being a sugar cure I find the higher internal temps helps when you fry the bacon. It will prevent the sugar from burning as you do not need to fry as long.

If you have one with the skin on and you did not remove it before hand once the desired internal temperature has been reached, remove from smoker and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, but still warm pull the skin off (you may need a sharp knife to help) making sure you leave as much fat on the bacon as possible.

XTxGR7p.jpg

Sliced, packaged and ready to freeze.

H1YFj7G.jpg

Last edited:
That bacon sure looks good. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SSSsorrrrrryyyyy. Just fell off my chair. Feeling faint... the only cure is THAT BACON!!!!! Well done. looks so nice I have to wipe the tongue slobber off my monitor.

Thank you for sharing, just out of curiosity, you can actually eat the bacon after you smoke it to 155, right? And frying up is only for the crispiness?

Rolling the smoke on 10 more pounds today.
This has maple syrup and dusted with pepper.
This batch started out with the three day smoking method. Shortened to the 2 day smoking method LOL Can't wait that long

CMexy0O.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky