• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Roasted peanuts

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dumprdog

May 1, 2020
I figure somebody here has tried this and I am curious. Are roasted peanuts in the shell (unsalted) worth the time to smoke, or should they be left as is? If you have done this, time, temp and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Braz

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
I'd say it is worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen, the squirrels get them?

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Jan 7, 2017
I would actually go with the salted ones myself. Or even figure out how to get a bit of sweet on them. That way you have a flavor to contrast the smoke flavor on the shells.

Also, like cheese, I'm guessing you would want an off gassing period after smoking them to take some of the harshness away

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Wonder if you could smoke boiled peanuts?

Dumprdog

May 1, 2020
Smoked 'em 3 hrs. Not much difference. I think the red nut covering (called a testa, who knew, right) and the dryness of the nut prevents any smoke to accumulate. Might try the salted ones, maybe the salt will sweat with the heat and allow the smoke to stick. I don't think soaking would be of any use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky