Ribs-N-Taters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Smoked some baby backs and some St. Louis racks. One rubbed with Kinders all purpose and one rubbed with Killer honey bee. Both were sauced with Blues Hog original.

9AB48F50-F6C1-4FC1-A592-05E0CA335121.jpeg

Then made a scalloped potato roll pirated from our favorite David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) we have made this a few different times and in as many ways, very versatile recipe. Can be a side or can be a full meal. Just excellent.

06251757-E611-41AA-91FD-043A21B1376D.jpeg

Parchment paper down, greased with duck fat, then a good layer of shredded cheese, I used a 6 month aged Gouda as a base it’s similar to Parmesan in flavor, along with mozzarella, a little romana and a splash of sharp cheddar. Then lace the thin sliced Yukon gold potatoes overlapping as shown. Then another layer of cheese and bake at 350 until potatoes are just done.
A6D85C02-6828-4BDD-96F4-5D2C7D30F5F8.jpeg

893E6B56-8A15-4613-BB22-5B300E4B5180.jpeg

Then I layer on mascarpone cheese mixed with garlic, salt, fresh cracked pepper, thyme and dill. Some fresh roasted anaheim pepper, homemade bacon and green scallions. Going for that loaded backed potato flavor.
EA2DA376-0CA9-43BD-9BD9-1CDF923B2F18.jpeg

Then roll it up off the paper, seam down and back into the oven 10-15 minutes to warm and set the roll.
B2116A3D-0239-41F7-81A0-510442DD63F3.jpeg

Cut and plated.
58774A7D-DD6F-4215-A71A-226728E79E8F.jpeg

76C09A0A-FA45-4588-AF49-F06462FC744A.jpeg

Simple yet delicious. Thanks for stopping by.

The ribs look good. I have a rack sitting in my fridge waiting it's turn.

I thought you were done with the potatoes at the third pic and then you kept going. That is my kind of meal.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The ribs look good. I have a rack sitting in my fridge waiting it's turn.

I thought you were done with the potatoes at the third pic and then you kept going. That is my kind of meal.
Thank you Chris.

WOW, thank you for the plug, but you made that your own, and it looks and sounds fantastic,
and a side of ribs . Great meal :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

I love the potato rolls like this and you did a great one

David
Thank you for your kind words and inspiration David. The filling on these potato rolls is endless In possibly.

You are on a roll. Everything looks delicious!
Nice pun! Thank you for the nice words Peachey.
The ribs look great Eric but I gotta say, that potato roll is over the top!! Absolutely stunning presentation and the flavors had to be dream worthy. Very nice my friend.

Robert

Thank you Robert. Now, you are someone who could really do justice to the potato roll. I hope you give it a try. The choice of filling is endless. Can be a side or the main course. David made his with PP.

Excellent, Eric! That would have been great for the Bodacious Bones Throwdown...
Thank you for the kind words Charles. I appreciate it.

You nailed it! I sure love ribs but your potato roll is just screaming at me ... eat me first! Great job!

Ryan
Thank you Ryan. The potato roll is great for something different, I hope you try it. Pretty easy to put together, and eats very good.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I was showing my wife your post for the potato’s. When I finished going through the steps on my iPad she says “you had me thin sliced….” I’m so going to try those. Thanks
The ribs look great but those rolled potatoes stole the show for me. I showed my wife and I've been commanded to make them sometime soon!
Thank you guys, I do appreciate it.

As to making the roll, I hope you do, it’s delicious and filling options are endless.

Couple things to note to make the build smooth. Cut the potatoes thin, I use a mandolin set on 1, they need to be almost see through about 1/16th inch, next don’t skimp on the cheese it’s the glue that holds it all together, and finally make sure you overlap the slices at least 1/4 of the way or as much as 1/2 the way. Once the potatoes cook it then rolls very easy, seam side down and warm up in the same oven maybe 10 minutes. Enjoy.

Awesome cook all the way around Eric! Slap a bib on this ol redneck and I’d have dove in head first!

B615C1D4-4ACE-468E-B5C6-E5985B422DAE.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky