Rib problem- Tough exterior

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just saw this forum and I had the same issue and this is what I discovered. I have a Lang 36 and while I was leaning fire management, I found that if I ran the smoker above 250 for even just an hour or had hot spikes and was not paying close enough attention, I would get the tough, dry "skin" on the top of the meat side of the ribs.

This happened numerous times until I kept the smoker under 250. I now work hard on keeping the smoker between 230 and 245. I have not had the tough, dry "skin" issue since.

Some friends took me to a local BBQ joint a couple of months ago and their ribs had the same issue. My friends were ranting and raving over the ribs until I pointed out the tough skin. They supposedly have a new favorite BBQ joint.

Hope that helps.

For years, I've done ribs per the recipe in the sig below and have never had a tough outer layer, and this is without wrapping. Something must be missing in what has been described. Have we verified grate temps with a calibrated thermometer? I do agree that too much sugar could be a contributing factor.

When I had the issue, I thought I was burning the outside layer of the meat. When I cooked with a lower temperature, bingo, problem solved. I went Keto 5 years ago and have not used sugar in my rub since so in my case, it had nothing to do with the ingredients of my rub. Hope that helps.

My ribs always seem tender on the inside but tough on the outside any help please. I normally do a 3-2-1. Thanks!!!
I had the exact problem yesterday with my spare ribs! I smoked for 3hrs @225 and then wrapped in peach paper in oven for 2hrs @225 then unwrapped and sauced for about 20 mins in oven. The smoke layer was the texture of jerky. It was all tasty and the ribs were tender but the initial bite down and chew of the smoke layer was "chewy". I think some of the guys are getting confused about what you're saying but I completely understand. I don't think it's the meat I was using Smithfield's Extra Tender, and I don't think any amount of apple juice and foil would have changed the end results. I'm just as confused as you, it's the first time I've had this happen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky