Reverse or your regular flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PlugsQ

Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
hey guys wat y’all prefer and y.... I know the way the smoke flows is different but which one is better

I'm not offering a definitive opinion, but I think and would be happy with any smoker that has the smoke in prolonged contact with the product. For me, if I extend the smoke stack intake to the level of the grate, I think that's good enough. A top mounted intake just routes the smoke up and out before it surrounds the meat.

On the grill, pictured in my profile picture, I have an internal baffle that shields the product from direct heat and have extended the smoke stack intake to grate level. I put high temperature silicon seal along all edges to help keep smoke in and oxygen out although once things get going there is a positive pressure in the smoker.

Honestly it depends what your looking for. I have a reverse flow but learned to smoke on a traditional offset. The traditional offset is easier to have a hot section, and a cooler section for you to cook on. This allows you to move certain items closer to the fire to speed up their cook as necessary. However, if you are looking for a small smoker (i’m Thinking under 54 inch cooking grate) and you want a traditional smoker feel with good heat management, I would definitely get a reverse flow. I really like how it holds temperature and is even from side to side (with a few hotter spots). If you cook on a smaller smoker and it is traditional style, part of the cooking chamber may not be advisable to use since it is so close to the fire, even with a damper may be too hot. So in my opinion, I really like my reverse flow and would definitely suggest it (unless making a large smoker then go traditional)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky