Reverse Flow Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tfordman

Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Hi all,

Working on designing and building my first smoker. I came across some 22" 1/4" wall pipe at work that they were going to scrap, and I realized I really need a smoker. I asked if I could take it off their hands and not only did they say yes, the shop foreman offered to cut the pipes to length and cut the doors out with our CNC plasma pipe cutter. Time to get designing! I've done all the design so far in Solidworks (aside from a number of good old fashioned sketches and scribbles). Here are a couple of screenshots of how the smoker looks at the moment.

Smoker Iso.png

Smoker Iso 2.png

Given that I started out with a pipe size selected for me, I went through the great tutorial/calculator thread here and came up with some numbers. The cook chamber and firebox are both made from the same 22" OD 1/4" wall pipe. The cook chamber is 48" long and the firebox is 16" long. So, about a 75 gallon cook chamber. Here are the numbers I've come up with, both calculated ideal values and the actual values.

table.png

The total inlet area is simply the sum of the upper and lower inlet areas.

Before I start buliding, do these values look correct?

Thanks guys! If you have questions or concerns about the design, feel free to flame away!

edit: I should note that I have designed a simple heim joint based steering linkage for the front wheels but it’s not shown in the above screenshots.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I have no clue about all the math but looks good, My thoughts if I were building 1 is a removable rv plate so it all could be cleaned once in awhile, a slight off level to the plate and the barrel to make sure grease runs away from the fire box, also maybe a xtra plate on the fire box side to help cut down the hot spot . Sounds like some good folks to work with

Follow the tutorial and you will have a great smoker... ESPECIALLY since any hot spots are eliminated, if used properly....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky