Retirement goes on hold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think it depends on the type of work and company. Sales people are usually set free the day of notice. I gave 3 months to help transition, my roll is kind unique and there is no clear successor. I was not concerned about be cut loose. tho if they did I would smile and go. I am ready today. :)

Reactions: MJB05615
I think it depends on the type of work and company. Sales people are usually set free the day of notice. I gave 3 months to help transition, my roll is kind unique and there is no clear successor. I was not concerned about be cut loose. tho if they did I would smile and go. I am ready today. :)
When I hired on they cared for people but now that business gone through the roof not so much. They had everyone work Sat Sun last weekend now have to work tomorrow also. I not showing up. I stay at least a month ahead maybe why not saying anything to me. Will take several months to train someone. I talked to reliable guy yesterday and he said keep quite until you get your 401K match at end of Jan.

My Carpenters pension . It's all based on " 8 for 8 " 8 hours work for 8 hours pay . So the total agreed package is x amount of dollars . Part of that goes on a weekly check , then the rest divides into Health care , pension plan and vacation . If you're working .
Carpenters year is based on 1200 hours . Anything worked over that is extra paid towards benefits . Most times I worked 2000 plus hours . Gives the pension a good boost , and that's why I mentioned above that my health care was good for another 8 months or so .
So 30 years actual was 43 years on my pension .
We can draw our full pensions at 55 and still work . So I did that for 2 years . Lived on the pension and banked the weekly . All went good , so I went out at 57 . I'll be 60 in a couple weeks . Pension pays out as long as I'm above ground .
that is sweet deal and looks like you used it well. I figured you had something like that. I've put in my 401K but like stated earlier not enough to cover the sharp rise in health costs. I'll make do some how just maybe a little later than planned.

Congrats! I am sure you are as excited as I am!!!
I really not looking forward to the telling them part. I have only had 3 jobs in my life and the only one I quit was KFC to take job at Ti. Would like to just send email but I know need to tell in person first.

I really not looking forward to the telling them part. I have only had 3 jobs in my life and the only one I quit was KFC to take job at Ti.
Well , retiring is different . Not about them anymore .

April 2017 , Last conversation with my " boss " He walks on the jobsite .
Him - What are you doing
Me - Whatever I want
Him - I don't think I have anything after this .
Me - Good . I'm not coming back
Him - ( laughing ) I guess you don't want to work
Me - You're not as dumb as you look .

...My oldest son is self-employed and started out on ACA. It was stupid expensive with huge deductibles. ACA looked more like a catastrophic health insurance coverage. He switched to MediShare (https://www.medishare.com/) which was about 2/3 the cost of ACA but way better insurance all the way around.
Medi-Share is not insurance so be careful. Here's a quote from the Program Guidelines: "Medi-Share is not insurance. Medi-Share is a Healthcare Sharing Ministry as outlined in the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act. Each Medi-Share member is solely responsible for the payment of his or her own medical bills at all times."

My wife and I discussed my early retirement after 27 years in the paper industry and agreed for me to leave early at 56. We were/are basically debt free, have several savings instruments to include 401K and IRAs, and I have a pension so hopefully no need to tap into any savings. My wife agreed to work until 65 to provide us with insurance. That was 4 years ago next month. This year she'll be 62 and I just turned 60. Now she's talking about retiring at the end of the year and the potential cost of insurance scares the devil out of me, but for anyone on the fence about early retirement, just do it. My best advice is to stay busy doing something you love and you'll never regret it. For me, I live by the 4 F': Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing. I often tell people that I don't know how I ever worked full time.

Now, if I can just figure out how to pay for insurance without going broke....

I found a great deal for ACA but did not use the Gov site. Went straight to Bluecross Tx web site. Same plan but deductable only $75 and $2850 Out of pocket. Gov was a lot higher for same plan.

Reactions: 912smoker
for anyone on the fence about early retirement, just do it. My best advice is to stay busy doing something you love and you'll never regret it. For me, I live by the 4 F': Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing. I often tell people that I don't know how I ever worked full time.
exactly! ins is different by state from what I can tell, but the internet can pull all the options in Utah. yeah its expensive, but good planning before hand makes it affordable in a sense that its a necessary gap to get out early and cover us till medicare eligibility. the ins broker I talked to was very enlightening and had options - I just had to look at these with a new perspective = this is not employer sponsored insurance. comparing these is just not really relevant. IMO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky