"Requirements" for the carousel ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
This site isn't easy to search for past topics etc, so I'd like to ask the powers that be what it "takes" to get Featured/in the carousel?

I've seen some pretty fantabulous ideas/photos/recipes get skipped over and I've seen some pretty "plain jane" things make it up top.

Is there a set of rules or guidelines to follow to make it up top or is it at the whim of one or a group of moderators?

I've personally has something Featured but I don't know how it happened ... I just logged in and there it was. I'm not complaining about the recognition. I'm just curious why or how these things are decided. I feel like if there were a set of guidelines that we could all be aware of then when things are posted we can be sure to stay within those guidelines to be considered for some additional recognition for our hard work and investment into our skills and knowledge.

Thanks in advance to whomever chooses to answer this!

Is there a set of rules or guidelines to follow to make it up top or is it at the whim of one or a group of moderators?

It is entirely whimsical. As far as I know there is no prescribed set of rules. Whatever catches a certain moderators eye may get featured and some of what we deem more appropriate does not get featured. Different people, mods included, have their preferences which may not match ours or what we deem more viable to get the ride on the carousel. It's their decision. There are so many great threads being showcased recently there's no possible way to give them all the credit that people think they may deserve. I do know they have embraced the concept of trying to feature threads from some of the newer members to welcome them to the forum. It's a tough balancing act for them to make everybody happy by featuring what each person thinks should be up there. I just sit back and enjoy what's on the ride, make the best of it, and tray to gain some inspiration.

Robert

Not for sure how they decide to be honest but after being on vacation for a week there are some awesome threads on the carousel. I checked in from time to time but sure I missed some great posts. I think the mods do a terrific job in honoring people on the carousel. There are some amazing posts that don't go for a ride but they do a good job of honoring a wide variety...i for one have been on that list...not nearly as in depth as some threads and definitely not as good of presentation as others but definitely a huge amount of pride to be honored. I for one am glad I don't have to make those choices!

Ryan

P.S. Go gravy guys! :emoji_laughing:
You know I had to! Love me some gravy!

So there are 4 or 5 of us that do it. We usually pick something that is well done and detailed. But each one that does it has something different they look for when doing it. Now if we featured every great thread the carousel would be packed to the gills.

So there are 4 or 5 of us that do it. We usually pick something that is well done and detailed. But each one that does it has something different they look for when doing it. Now if we featured every great thread the carousel would be packed to the gills.

Yes, there are always a ton of new and inspiring threads that can be added. Well put, Brian.

Thank you all for your replies!! I for one appreciate the honesty and candidness of the replies.
I know it can't be an easy task and not a responsibility that I would want to bear.

Everyone keep up the great work, the great posts and keep on keeping on!

Thank you again!

I know that in the past I've suggested that emphasis be placed on getting newer members with good cooks on the carousel. Why? Because it gets them personally involved, more likely to hang around and stay active members.
And it appears that this is employed regularly.

Other than that, yeah, it is a crap shoot based on many factors. Innovation, uniqueness, quality of threads information and or pics and the whims of the staff.

I've had good laughs before, e.g. when the breakfast I posted as an aside was Featured but the threads topic wasn't.
Granted, it was an awesome breakfast.

So one just never knows.

Last edited:
The number of great posts continues to grow monumentally as the membership grows. The more we all share everyone improves and the post qualities keep going up. The fact it’s not a competition is a great point and excellent to keep in mind for all of us. Many of us are competitive by nature and that was a good reminder. Relative to competition I would love to see the throw downs return with public voting for the finalists. Those were around right after I first joined and I thought they were really cool.

The number of great posts continues to grow monumentally as the membership grows. The more we all share everyone improves and the post qualities keep going up. The fact it’s not a competition is a great point and excellent to keep in mind for all of us. Many of us are competitive by nature and that was a good reminder. Relative to competition I would love to see the throw downs return with public voting for the finalists. Those were around right after I first joined and I thought they were really cool.
Good point on the throw downs, I remember them too as a lurker or when I first joined. I might be wrong but as I see things on the forum it's not as much as a competition as it is getting ideas to improve one's cooks. Or new ideas to build on...thus the ever increasing to do list! I have learned alot from this forum but my wife can still cook circles around me...she does alot of the cooking but I enjoy winter when I have more time to play

Ryan

Want the Throwdowns to return?
Organize and Host them.
Inquire with TulsaJeff or various Vendors to host some prizes.
Ask prior hosts for any tips.
Coordinate with site staff as needed.

I used to host some contest and giveaways on a firearms forum, it was fairly straightforward, easy and fun.

Make it happen.

I know that in the past I've suggested that emphasis be placed on getting newer members with good cooks on the carousel. Why? Because it gets them personally involved, more likely to hang around and become active members.
And it appears that this is employed regularly.

Other than that, yeah, it is a crap shoot based on many factors. Innovation, uniqueness, quality of threads information and or pics and the whims of the staff.

I've had good laughs before, e.g. when the breakfast I posted as an aside was Featured but the threads topic wasn't.
Granted, it was an awesome breakfast.

So one just never knows.

Yup---I figured they leaned toward New Members these days, to get them more interested in staying, but I've seen a few guys get on it numerous times. I can't remember when one of mine was on last. I wouldn't put any of my Indoor Threads in either, but My Prime Ribs aren't even good enough any more. Oh well, I guess I'm just getting Old & Boring!!

Bear

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky