Requesting advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
Picked this up today and don't know how to handle the "pre" sliced goodness. I have never done pork belly but have been so wanting to.
Belly burnt ends are on my mind but will it work with slices?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210731_191401.jpg
    20210731_191401.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210731_191426.jpg
    20210731_191426.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: JLeonard
I think it’s going to be tough to smoke thin strips. Are they sliced like bacon? If so maybe hot grill and then toss in a sauce like you would for burnt ends.

I love sliced pork belly or side pork as it is called in my neck of the country.
Nice looking belly.
Rub and or sauce to your preference. I don't anything on my side pork.
Cook to render down the fat.
On my kettle it would rotate from from direct to offset heat. Most would be offset.
The pellet grill would be a 350° cook out.
Do not over cook

Picked this up today and don't know how to handle the "pre" sliced goodness. I have never done pork belly but have been so wanting to.
Belly burnt ends are on my mind but will it work with slices?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Not really, you need chunks for burnt ends at least 1 1/4' x 1 1/4'' But 1 1/2x 1 1/2'' is better.

Reactions: JLeonard
Fueling Around Fueling Around has some solid advice on using it for a breakfast meat, it's quite good as long as you can set aside your taste for bacon that you have refined your entire life. It's a porky flavor, and fatty and you need to keep an eye on it when cooking so you don't over-crisp it. Some people bake in on parchment paper at 400° for 20 minutes, then turn and wait for it to get done to your liking. It's good as an appetizer (still fried or baked) served on a cheese tray or a charcuterie board with some cured meats. It's fresh meat, so I like a little salt and a good sprinkle of black pepper. If you put a little paprika on it you get a slight smokey flavor.... but no need to re-invent the wheel, enjoy it for what it is.

I know what I'd be doing with that belly:

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky