Reporting for Duty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinvarmint

Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Found this forum linked from a few other sites, and thought I should join up.

Background Info.

Located in beautiful NM.

Been smoking meat for a year or so now, but want to get more and more info.

Thanks for the forum!

SV

My latest Frankenstein..

ecbab7f7_P5230404.jpg

Welcome SV to SMF - glad to have you here with us - be sure to post up some qview for us to drool over

Welcome to SMF varmit!!!

Lots of great info and ideas to be found here.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome Smokin Varmit. You will find whatever you are lokking for here. If not, ask. Some one will have an answer.

Wild looking smoker. Lets see some qview from it.
icon_smile.gif

My first Qview ( be gentle ) 
icon_redface.gif

Here is the first thing I did on the home built RF, it smokes good, but I sometimes struggle maintaining 225 degrees  hopefully the RF forum will provide some pointers

2 whole chickens, done up with my own "sweet" rub.

2267e1e4_rubbd.jpg

Just thrown into the smoker,  I am a hickory fanatic, so that is what I used here.

dbab9161_P5230405.jpg

Smoker goin' at it.

4d6b9939_P5230404.jpg

d43df7d1_P5230406.jpg

Pulling them out.

b6529f5c_P5230407.jpg

The meat was really really good, but the skin was a bit bitter from over smoking.  I need to back off the smoke about 30 min earlier.

Thanks for looking.  Hopefully get some Qview up soon ( most of it is still on the camera ).

or you could back off on amount of smoke more than the time of smoke?  I have made lots of brown chicken before I ended up on this forum and now I use much much much less wood than I did in the past.  Just my 2 cents ( really?? we don't have a 2 cent smiley??? )

or you could back off on amount of smoke more than the time of smoke?  I have made lots of brown chicken before I ended up on this forum and now I use much much much less wood than I did in the past.  Just my 2 cents ( really?? we don't have a 2 cent smiley??? )
Thanks!!  This is EXACTLY why I started lurking around here.   I need to figure out the temp situation ( struggle with maintaining temp ), and then find how to reduce the smoke.  Thanks again!!

I can't tell for sure but it looks as if your stack damper may be part way closed.

If it is, try a smoke with it open full and see if that helps. I have heard it several times, to learn to make good smoke with the damper open then work on the damper to get the max smoke time and fire time from your rig.

I think I said that right. If I didn't, would someone pls chime in.

At least the birds tasted good, just a bummer the skin was bitter.

When I painted my RF not to long ago I used high temp paint on the cook chamber and then got the fire box hot and rubbed it down with veg oil. I really like the way it turned out. Almost like a cast iron skillet. If I do it again I would like to sand blast it and then let it sit out for a day or two to build a tiny bit of surface rust. Then oil it down. Reason being is that I did not like the way it looks where I had it down to bare metal.

90135186_100_5773.jpg

It has actually darkened up since the day I took this pic. With your not painted yet maybe this could be an option.

Thanks Tom, 

That was next on the Honey-Do list.  She said I needed to paint it so it doesn't look so "RedNeck" .  For that, I may just paint "RedNeck" on it.

OMG did she really say that???

Talk about kickin a guy where it hurts.
I also told her she doesn't get any of the brisket I am doing this weekend.  She got quiet after that. 

I just finished all 4 pages of your build.  Very impressive welding skills, and a great finished product.

Thank You, but I am far from a pro, unless I am grinding.

It does make a guy feel good to hear such kind words. Thank You.

I still have to make my wheels, I think I have hit my stall on that part. :(

I need a leg in the front so I have have my material stand back LOL. And I want a shelf for storage.

I havent found the right siloette of a pig for my handle holders. But I'm getting there.

Welcome one from the Land of Enchantment, SMF always has room for more folks who are looking for good times in the outdoors and more. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Vermit to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now you have a good looking smoker there and I like the undone look to it too. Now as far as your smoke I think that you do need to cut back on the smoke. After all you just want to dribble of smoke for the flavor the thick white smoke will only (well you know) make the meat more bitter then tastie too.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Last edited:
Welcome welcome!  I too like hickory, but have you tried pecan?  In my opinion its a great hardwood that isn't AS overpowering as hickory. 

Great looking yard birds, welcome to the forum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky