Replace smoke tray with box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steves8860

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
I have not liked how chips or pellets work in my smoker. I have experimented with different little changes.

I don't want to do any permanent modifications. I don't want to get any other equipment yet.

I took out my chip tray a put in a smoker box and tried it briefly. Looks like it will work, but I thought I get opinions before I turned it on for an extended period of time.

Attachments

• 20210801_195609.jpg
    20210801_195609.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 40
How will this function differently? It seems like it would be hard to add more wood on a long smoke. What is it that you don’t like about the smoke as is?To much? To little? To dirty? Burning to fast? There is a thing called the mailbox mod you can do that wouldn’t be permanent. You can make it with a popcorn tin rather than a mailbox. It generates the smoke in a larger chamber to the side. It might be what your looking for.

When I put a 2nd round of chips in through the little side door they don't smoke.
So I'm thinking that this has holes in the bottom and may catch easier.

I'm experimenting.
Think that without a top on I could still dump in from the side door.

Or I could swap boxes out both with lids on. I did that with my propane one with good success.

Would ashes falling through the holes in the bottom cause a problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky