Remove and replace firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Frostyfries

Original poster
Jul 5, 2022
Hey all,
New to the forum, not new to smoking and modding smoker (not cutting or welding on it though).
I have welded and have friends that would help with that if needed, but my question is has anyone tried to remove their old firebox from a store bought smoker and replaced it with a custom built one? I have an older smoker that the smoke chamber is nice and big, but the firebox is so small I have very little room to get a sustained cook going. Not to mention, I hate the way that it works. It has one of those pull out drawers for ash and airflow instead of a door. Also, it's a top/front loader for wood. I'd like to add a custom built box that's much larger and can handle bigger pieces and everything be maintained from the side. I feel the temp will be much easier to maintain that way.

Anyway, any advice or if someone has done this already, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you're talking a char griller or the like, the steel on the cook chamber isn't really heavy enough to warrant spending a lot on upgrading the firebox.

Well, I have a custom built smoker from 1988. It's on it's third firebox now. Cut it off, measure twice, cut once, tack the new one back on.

If you replace your small firebox with a bigger firebox, you will likely find that smoke and heat will billow out of the intake because your chimney is too small for the stronger draft your new large firebox creates. Probably time to upgrade. Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky