Remote thermometers: standalone device or phone app?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dm76

Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
I know there are a few threads about thermometers here but would love your take on this. I have an old remote thermometer and I have always had problems with it updating or getting out of range, even when I am only about 15-20 feet away right inside the house. I am in the market for a new one with multiple probes (at least one for the meat and one for the ambient temp) but 4 would probably be better. I don't have a smoker but just a gas grill for now but still like to monitor things, especially slow cooked meats. I am just curious if you find it more convenient/simpler to have a standalone receiver or to use your phone. I do have a Weber so the igrill3 is a possibility, but I have read where the range is not that good once you go inside the house. Love to hear your thoughts and recommendations on this.

This unit is fantastic. Very easy to set.

Also a very good unit. It did loose connectivity once at about 90' but connected again instantly.

I have the IBT-4XS + the 6XS, both work perfectly. I've lost connection maybe 2 times in 20 + cooks, and it reconnected immediately. Both are very accurate each time I test in boiling water, and when I compare to my tp-08 model.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
I have the Inkbird IBT-4XS as well and it works very well. Unless you drive to the store and take your phone, then it makes a helluva racket in your pocket, lol. I really recommend a 4 probe. I've discovered cold and hot spots in my cooking equipment with the multiple probes. You can learn a lot from moving the probes around the smoker, grill or oven.

The only drawback I've heard people talk about is the BBQGo app Inkbird uses, there is no way to look at history of the cook, like a graph of spikes and dips in the temp. I haven't needed that function but it could reveal data that could help in future cooks or you could tell how long meat was in the danger zone if you ran out of propane in the middle of the night or something.

That's true about the noise it makes once you drive away. LOL. But as soon as you return it reconnects immediately. It's my first 4 probe and has made my life much easier. I only used a 2 probe before. Nor I can probe many different areas of the meats and cook much more evenly. I'm mainly using the 6 probe whenever possible for more coverage, but could easily live with the 4.

This is good info. On one hand, I can see it being convenient to use a phone app since your phone is always on you and you wouldn't need to to worry about carrying something else around. But on the other hand, it might be nice to have a dedicated device so you don't have to keep opening the phone up and worrying about it reconnecting. But then again, it sounds like they don't do too bad staying connected. I don't usually wander far anyways. Do most get at least 50 feet or more if you are inside the house?

Do most get at least 50 feet or more if you are inside the house?

when I did lose my connection the one time, grill was in driveway and I was at other end of house. At very most 90' . Most times about 40' and zero issues. I can check thermometer and Rec Tec app and adjust temps as needed without getting out of recliner.

My 6x has alarms to set so if temps hit set point a loud alarm on the phone will wake even me up lol

I am usually able to go anywhere in my home, 2 story house, and on my property without losing the signal. There's one spot in the front of my house if I step too far I lose the signal, and take 1 step back it reconnects. Otherwise I can go anywhere around the property without losing connection. And yes the alarm is very loud and repetitive.

Another vote for the Inkbird. I have the Inkbird-4xs too and it’s fantastic. Like sky monkey said above, you can’t get any history on it but that’s fine by me.

Reactions: MJB05615
I have a thermoworks Smoke. Works great, my barn is about 400 feet away from the house, depending on the weather I sometimes smoke at the barn or at the house. It works great at 400 feet, front half of my house. Thermoworks just announced a new one, longer distance.....not sure of the name.
2 channels with alarms. They do offer a wifi gizmo to get it on the internet. Watch for sales

RG

Attachments

• smokex_generic-01.jpg
    smokex_generic-01.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 10
There is the 15% CODE for Inkbird IBT-4XS: 77I5UPEY
Features: 150 feet Bluetooth range with 4 probes. Magnetic Design and Large LED Screen
Rechargeable battery,The Bluetooth meat thermometer battery can last for about 40 hours once fully recharged.

Reactions: MJB05615
The phone apps are identical and are simple to set a high limit or a hig/llow range and custom name and changing the parameters. I have the Soraken 6 probe therm and the app became weird and opening and closing after an update and is the EasyBBQ app. I tried the inkbird BBQ GO app and it has issues stopping. I tried the solis thermo app and the graph would stop periodically and then Chugod app has 5 different alarms to choose from and drops the graph and probably the timer if used but holds all your settings when it gliches. It's not an alarmed signal drop it's like the others an app issue. I have these last three apps downloaded to switch if necessary but the Chugod app with five alarms to choose from is my favorite.
Screenshot_20200410-080551_chugod.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky