Ref; Just going to make up a recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I got a pork loin and part is going to become Jerky, and I don't feel like going out to get any thing special, so I plan to use what I have on hand, which I'd like to think I have enough grasp of what I'm doing you guys can verify the mariande won't be horrid.

1/4 cup Red Wine.
1/8th cup Worschertise.
1/8th cup Seaseme Oil.
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar.
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper.
2 Tsp Onion Powder
2 Tsp Garlic Powder.
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4th Tsp Prague Powder 1

I am aiming for a fairly easy mixture to use with pork loin. I figured I'd mix and bag this after supper and let it sit till saturday morning to smoke/try to smoke. <Weather dependent, I might use the oven>.

Does any one see any glaring problems? This is for a 'pound' but I already know in effect, if the liquid covers the jerky, you don't need to make the exact amount again per pound.

I do have soy sauce, but I am curious if I can not use it...

TKRFV, IMHO I don't see any ingredients that clash with one another except maybe the wine????. I would skip that and look in the cupboard for some crushed red pepper or a bit of cayenne pepper.

I was going to use the wine because Bear's pork loin jerky uses it, and that stuff always comes out good. But..he uses white, and all I got to hand is red, and I'm curious how red works out.

Drink the red wine and forgo the sesame oil (very strong flavoring even in small doses)

Do add in soy equal to the "Worschertise" sauce, maybe a squirt of honey and some ground Jalapeno, Habanero or Ghost Peppers. Or all 3.

Also quintuple the recipe as 1 pound of wet meat for jerky is hardly worth effort
I normally 2.5x for 3-4 pounds of meat. As long as the liquid can cover it, it's all you need. I know seaseme oil is strong, it's one of my favourite seasonings to use. I use it -alot- lol!

Red wine will just darken the color but no noticeable taste difference from using White...JJ

Good to know..because I went ahead and tossed things together. Plan to start the jerky saturday morning!

The wind kept throwing temps about, at one point I thought it might be done, took a chunk out, tore into it..aaaand spat half of it on the ground. I'm not sure if it wasn't actually cooked, but had th emouth feel. I think my dog found that bit before the snow rolled in.

I hilariously even went 'Hey Dad, think lemon juice would be good?' He even said he wanted to try that. I even put the lemon juice out..and utterly forgot to add the lemon juice.

It's peppery..a very good aroma from the red wine. I think I need to cut out my seaseme oil from jerky entirely though. It tends to make them all have a similiar taste.

Attachments

• 20181201_195234.jpg
    20181201_195234.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 6
Sesame is very assertive. The Koreans add it to most dishes. I would stick to using it in Asian influenced jerky recipes like a Char Siu jerky with Hoisin and Five Spice. Or Korean Bulgogi jerky with fruit, Soy Sauce and lots of sweetener. It is fun to experiment...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky