Red's 24x46 Reverse Flow Patio Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Howdy SMF Brothers and Sisters!

I started a RF patio smoker build several months ago...and kept meaning to start a build thread here. So I'm finally getting around to doing that!

I started with this propane tank. It's 5/16" thick, and 24" diameter by almost 11 feet long.

img1.jpg

I plasma-cut the tank roughly in half. For this build, I'm using the half that only has one bung that has to be cut out (the half that's closest to the shop in this pic). The other half, I'm saving for another build later on.

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

Used my plasma cutter to cut out that bung, and then scabbed in a cut from the drop end of the tank so it would have the same curve.

img4.jpg

img5.jpg

img6.jpg

Got most of the paint and rust stripped off. Now I'm about ready to do some fabricating.

img7.JPG

img8.JPG

I'm using 2x2x11 ga. square tubing for the cart frame...and 1/4" smooth plate to fabricate the firebox, the baffle plate, and the cook chamber end plate.

I got the tubing all cut for the cart frame.

img9.jpeg

And I got most of the plate plasma-cut for the FB, BP, and CC end plate

img10.jpeg

img11.jpg

Next, I welded up the cart, with 1/4" castor plates mounted to the legs.

img15.jpg

The cart and CC barrel welded together. I went ahead mounted the 8" solid rubber castors, so that I could move it around my shop more easily.

img25.JPG

img26.JPG

Next step was to roll it outside the shop and do a nice hot burn out of the tank. This removed the last of the propane gas odor.

img27.JPG

Next I plasma-cut the door in the CC, leaving small tabs until I attached the flat bar flange to the top and bottom of the door...then cut the tabs out with a cutoff wheel, and removed the door. Now I can start cleaning up the rough edges of the cuts, and removing rust from the door and CC interior.

img33.jpg

img31.JPG

img35.jpg

Next...I got the CC door all framed out with 1 1/2" x 1/8" flat bar, and did a test fit to see if I had any warping in the door or the tank. I'm relieved to say, it fits pretty good!

img36.jpg

img38.jpg

img40.jpg

Next, time to tack in the baffle plate and drain pipe...And tack on the CC end plate.

img44.jpg

img45.jpg

img46.jpg

img48.jpg

Next, I got the firebox all tacked up.

img49.jpg

img50.jpg

So that's my progress so far...I got the FB all welded out, but haven't taken pics yet.

Next step is to weld the FB and the CC barrel together. Both are very heavy...so I've got to come up with a plan for handling and fit up to get everything plum, level, and square before I weld it together. Just one of the challenges when you work on projects like this by yourself!

Thanks for checking this out! Sorry for the length of this first post - that's several months of work all in one post!

More to come...

Red

Last edited:
Looking great so far! Looks like you need some help messing up your shop...it's really clean!

Ryan

LOL! It ain't that clean...I was just thinkin' this afternoon that I need to spend an hour cleaning some clutter!

Thank you Ryan!

That's gonna be a BEUT when you get it done... I'm along for the ride ...

Thanks Keith!

Red

Looks good. Tell us about the Bauer tool. Doesn't look like a sandpaper head. It looks like a biscuit jointer with some sort of steel wool attachment. Seems to have done its job.

It's a fairly new tool to me. I was looking into ways to strip paint and rust, and stumbled across a YT video of this tool. Called a surface conditioning tool. The "head" is an abrasive drum, which - just like other abrasives - you can get in different grits. Basically works like an angle grinder works - just in a different plane. All I know is, it really ate the old paint and rust on this tank! Made stripping much easier than just an angle grinder with a stripper disc.

Red

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Wow buddy, what a nice build! That is sure going to be a heck of a rig…. Wish I was closer, I would try to help ya on the heavier stuff!

Definitely following and look forward to seeing the progress and eventually the maiden voyage!

Awesome thread my friend! Wish I had just a small amount of that talent!

Reactions: seenred
Wow buddy, what a nice build! That is sure going to be a heck of a rig…. Wish I was closer, I would try to help ya on the heavier stuff!

Definitely following and look forward to seeing the progress and eventually the maiden voyage!

Awesome thread my friend! Wish I had just a small amount of that talent!

Thanks Buddy! Like I said, the real talent is figuring out how to handle and fit up steel parts that are heavy, big, long, or oddly shaped when you're working by yourself!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky