Red Pepper Pork Chops, Navy Beans with Tasso and Cajun Smoke Sausage over Rice...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I try and not post every cook I do, just the ones that are different that you guys might enjoy. Well here is one that fits the bill...A fried pork chop with so much red pepper on it you would think it would not be edible- or way too damn hot anyways. But that is not the case at all. You see the capsaicin from the cayenne pepper is soluble in oil, so it pulls the heat out of the red pepper. What you are left with are the floral, sweet notes in the cayenne pepper with just a touch of heat. You will just have to trust me on that. I did not believe it the first time I saw an old man at the camp make them. But he was 100% correct. And the pork chops were some of the best I have ever had. That was over 30 years ago and we still cook them this way. The oil though, it will be very spicy! Good for frying fish and seafood, but not much else if you care to save it (we always saved it at the camp).

So here we go! Pork chops seasoned with salt and so much red pepper there is NO WAY you would think you could eat it! You want about 1/2tsp. or more per side of each pork chop. Let them sit for at least 5 minutes for the salt and pepper to soak into the surface of the meat and stick.

IMG_20230207_174112.jpg

Fry them up on high heat in a C.I. pan with enough oil so the chops just start to barely float. you want them to brown very well and the edges of the fat to get very dark. Sorry, no pic.; thought I snapped one.

The plate:
IMG_20230207_181829.jpg

Just an old cajun camp meal for the guys at the firehouse. They put the beans on around 9a.m.; all I did was season the chops and fry them up when I got there.

Last edited:
That looks really good and now I'm going to have to try it. I have some pork chops in the freezer I was going to thaw soon.... will need to save a couple to try.

Reactions: indaswamp
My mouth started watering at the first pic...And then came the plated pic!!! WOW! That looks great.

Jim

I REALLY like the similar threads or whatever it's called on the bottom. Saw this viewing the "red beans and rice" thread but not before. THAT is my kind of meal. Will try that. Are those like a similfied version of red beans? On the heat thing, I have totally experienced that. I think it's evaporation of the capsaicin. You gave a great description, heat mostly gone and sweet notes left.

I assume you meant simplified. If so, yes, cook the white beans just like the red except change the water after the first 20 minutes of simmering...and be sure you get all the nasty foam off the top too....
Coffee hadn't kicked in LOL. So from there trinity, chicken stock, bacon, like red beans or is it stripped down as it is a side dish? When I made the red beans I used my IP and added 1 TBSP cajun seasoning. Smelled good enough to eat as is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky