Recipe Wanted .... homade bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
I've been looking at several recipes for homade bologna. But I haven't found "the one" yet. Does anyone have a really good one that they can share??

Thanks,

Fl. Bill

Garlic Bologna

80 lbs of Meat (3 parts beef, 1 part pork – same with venison)
¾ lb. Kent Bologna Seasoning
¼ lb. Cure Salt
6 Heaping Tblsp. Garlic
1 Heaping Tblsp. Black Pepper
2 Heaping Tblsp. Onion Powder (Optional)
Binder – (Powdered Milk) – This is going to take quite a bit, however you going to have to play with it.
2 Quarts of water. Add this gradually when mixing.

Smoking Temp. 170 degrees. Smoke for 3 to 4 hours/or until color is right.

Soak in 120 degree hot water bath for 45 minutes after smoking.

This is the recipe that I was given. I would think that you could cut the recipe down a bit if you need to. The "Kent Bologna Seasoning" is a seasoning from a butcher supply store in the area. If you would like I can get you their contact info but I would guess that you could find one in your area or pick up a kit from Cabellas or similiar store.

Hey Cheech,
Thanks a million for the input. I think I will indeed try to cut the portions down a little and also, I'll check Cabella's etc. for the seasoning. I am so green on the Bologna recipe that I dinn't even realize there was a bologna seasoning. I just assumed that the taste was the result of various different seasonings. Again, thanks for the response.

BWSMITH,

Here is an other one.

This for 25 lbs of meat

18lbs of lean meat
7 lbs of pork butt
2.5 TSP ground white pepper
1/2 cups of ground mustard
2.5 tbs ground celery
2.5 tsp ground nutmeg
2.5 tsp ground coriander
2.5 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup powdered dextrose
5 cups soy protein concentrate
5 cups of ice water
5 tsp instacure no 1
2/3 cup salt

grind thru 3/16 plate and mix in indgredients and water as you go. I usually stuff in to 8" casings but any size will do. after stuffing hand ill dry then put in smoker that is at 165 degrees until the internal temp is 150 then cold shower til internal temp is 90 degrees.

I am not sure where I got recipe, I have not tried it yet so if you make this please let me know how it turns out. If I try it before you I will let you know.

Cheech,
Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try out this recipe. I'll be out of town for the next week or so but I hope to get myself a little more settled down then and hopefully get back into more of a smoking mode.

Hey there Cheech,that recipe is in The Sausage Makers book.Im trying it today.I have about 15 lbs of meat cubed and am fixin to start grinding it up in a few minutes.This goes back to my post on emulsifying meat for bolonga and weiners.Ill let you know how it turns out.

hello all
when i first got into sausage making i started using and buying sausage making kits which is an easy way to start most companys sell there seasonings in packages to do either 12 or 25 pound batches of sausage so you wont have to make a whole bunch and have not turn out right if i like what i made i can allways make it better by adding other seasonings such as garlic or cayane pepper the hi mountain jerky company sells a balogna seasoning kit that does 30 pounds or you can cut it in half and make 15 pounds of sausage most of these kits come with cure and casings everything you need for what you want to make another company that makes an execelent sausage seasoning is PS seasonings both of these companys can be found on the internet anyway thats enough rambling for now if you have any questions ask and i will try and help out later
salmonclubber

Heres the bologna I made using the recipe from The Sausage Maker book.I wound up with 21 lbs. of bologna which was a mixture of deer,beef,and pork.I think it turned out very tasty and am pleased with it.I used the recipe for 25 lbs. even though I had only 21 lbs. of meat.I like things a little more spicey than the recipes in that book call for.
dc72aef4_vbattach10513.jpg

0d506a8b_vbattach10512.jpg

Dacdots,
That really looks great! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and pictures. Now I know that I have to make the bologna. ()I'm especially pleased to find that the seasoning or kit provisioners provide the seasonings as well as the casings. The casings are what had me stumped.

Thanks again,

It turned out great Cheech,very moist and tender.The texture was a little finer than most summer sausages I have made.I ran it through a 3/16 grinder plate.I was gonna try to emulsify the meat but didnt really have time to try it.I think I like better a little coarse,not so fine texture like store bought bologna.The casings my wife made out of muslim cloth.You can buy it at any fabric store and its a lot cheaper than casings.The fabric will allow smoke to penetrate good.I got a little wrinkling due to skinkage during blooming but I can live with that.

Dacdots I usually dunk my salami in cold water just after coming out of the smoker until the internal temp reaches 110F.

I do not understand how it works but it keeps the meat "puffed up" so that there is no shrinkage.

Maybe someone here can explain how it works I just know that it does.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky