Real Deal Roman Pasta Carbonara (Guanciale and Pecorino Romano)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
IMG_20220922_182512.jpg

Brought some guanciale that had been hanging in the chamber for 5 months. Long enough...time to eat some. Bought some Pecorino Romano cheese, eggs and thin spaghetti.

Timing is everything with this dish. Separate the yolks from the egg whites from the 4 eggs. set aside. Start the pasta. Fry up the guanciale nice and slow to render the fat. Set aside in bowl.
IMG_20220922_174751.jpg

Remove pan from heat.
IMG_20220922_181142.jpg

Add garlic. simmer garlic a few minutes, then add about 1/4 cup pasta water. Whisk to form an emulsion. Add egg whites and whisk on low heat until slightly thick. Add Pecorino Romano cheese and whisk in to warm. Pasta should be ready now....strain in sink. Add egg yolks and fold in to distribute. Add pasta an toss.
IMG_20220922_182313.jpg

Serve immediately.
IMG_20220922_182426.jpg

Last edited:
That’s incredible Keith. Looks delicious. Heck yeah I’m up for a plate.
Thanks SE! Cooked for My Aunt and Uncle tonight.

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jowl may be the only meat better than belly. I'd pay good money for a plate of that!

This would be my plate :)

View attachment 644342
:emoji_laughing: Yes indeed! The fat on cheek bacon is pillowy soft after frying....texture unlike anything else on a pig! OMG this was sooo goood!!!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice! Another dish I haven't had in awhile. Though. I use bacon or pancetta.
I don't think I've heard of guanciale before.

Reactions: indaswamp
Delicious. I've got a guanciale that's been hanging for two months already, specifically made for this. Sadly, the Romano cheese I made still has 11 months to go, so it won't be ready for it.

Looks so good!! Just saw our local Savealot had a lot of smoked jowl.
Thanks jcam! Give it a go!

Nice! Another dish I haven't had in awhile. Though. I use bacon or pancetta.
I don't think I've heard of guanciale before.
guanciale is the original for this dish in Rome. Deep flavor, pillowy soft fat high in Oelic acid which creates all those buttery nutty flavors when dry cured. So Good!

Looks awesome!!
Thanks tbern!

Delicious. I've got a guanciale that's been hanging for two months already, specifically made for this. Sadly, the Romano cheese I made still has 11 months to go, so it won't be ready for it.
Awesome! Cheese I have not gotten into yet, but it;s coming!

Now that’s looks tasty! I would have become your relative quick and even done the dishes!

That's a beautiful plate Keith, love it! I do something quite similar using bacon trimmings and fresh made pasta from semolina flour. The pasta is a game changer. RAY

DSCN4001.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky