Ready to Start 1st build need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsite smokers

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
New Site Mississippi
I've posted about this build before just didn't have everything to start and had some other projects going. But now I'm ready I think.... I Have a 80 gal air compressor  and a an old propane tank from a truck. Questions I have ......

1) Suggestions about how big to make door opening. In the  picture you should see I have a fitting on top of tank . I could cut it out and patch hole or cut on either side and just plug or use for thermometer or misting device. From center line of tank to the fitting it measures 17".

2) How much room do I need in bottom for heat and smoke to travel to end of tank? and how much room between RF plate and cooking grate? Tank is 24" in Diameter

3) As in pic you can see I have a round tank for fire box (18" X 28") Any suggestions on the door end how to make ash removal easier? and where wand what shape for the air dampeners?

Usually the RF plate is a few inches below center line of the side of the tank.

as for ash removal you should be able to do it after your cook and just use a shop vac. If you have to do it during the smoke then get a little fireplace shovel and that will get it out easy for you.

The RF plate typically will need to be 4 1/2" to 5" below the bottom grate of your pit.  The opening at the opposite end of the plate needs to be at least as large as your firebox to chamber opening, if not a bit larger to insure that you aren't choking down your fire, draft and air flow.  I'll keep watching this build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky