Ready for Winter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ristau5741

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
1. Brine.jpg
2. sauce.jpg
3.sauced.jpg
4. on smoker.jpg
5.pulled.jpg
6. oven done.JPG
7. pulled and weighed.JPG
8. packaged.JPG

2x 12 lb pork shoulders, 36 hour standard brine with citrus and basil. coated in sauce. Probably my mistake using a finishing/glazing sauce, but came out crispy crunchy in the end. on the smoker, ran about 260-270 degrees, after 6 hours at 165, I pulled out of the smoker and put in oven at 275 for another 5 hours. Took out of oven at 190 degrees, bone pulled right out. weighed up. more than I though I would get. processed through the food saver and put in freezer for those cold winder days. kept a pound in fridge for snacking.

I see a lot of hearty cold night dinners ahead. Nice job. Hard to have the discipline to package PP for future use.

I use the Pineapple Habanero glaze as one of my flavor layers on my pork rib slabs. I have several flavor layers and the Pineapple Habanero is one of my favorites. I buy it at Sam,s club.

what is your preferred method for reheating your frozen pork? I've used stovetop, microwave (awful IMO) and waterbath and none seem to taste quite right. Although, I have used a crock pot with some added chicken stock, which works ok but it seems to mute the flavor a bit.

what is your preferred method for reheating your frozen pork? I've used stovetop, microwave (awful IMO) and waterbath and none seem to taste quite right. Although, I have used a crock pot with some added chicken stock, which works ok but it seems to mute the flavor a bit.
I have used the following method hundreds of times through the years for rib slabs. I always smoke more slabs than needed and vacuum pack the extra slabs and freeze them.
1) Take the slabs out of the freezer and let them thaw.
2) Turn on your oven and pre-heat to 200 or 225. Wrap each slab individually in heavy foil. Wrap em tight and place in the oven directly on the oven racks. Heat for about 45 minutes or to the temp you like. This works every time and they taste just like they came off the smoker.
As for as pulled pork. I always keep several pounds vacuum packed in the freezer. I pack in servings for about 4 sandwiches.
1) Take out the vacuum packed pork serving and thaw
2) Once thawed, I place in a sauce pan, add my custom BBQ sauce and heat very slowly. Works every time. Crock pot heating works as well.

Reactions: drdon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky