Rainy day tinkering

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
The endless rain has started. It‘s a good time to work on my motorcycle project and tinker with the smoker. As much as I like sitting on the patio in the summer, sipping bourbon, adjusting the smoker and avoiding the lawnmower, in the winter it is just not as much fun.

I am going to add a Inkbird PID controller and a convection fan from an old oven. I’m adding a speed control to the fan. I want to stir the smoke around and even out the heat in the cabinet without creating a cyclone. Moving some air around should be good for jerky and cheese. We shall see.

I have it hanked together and working. I smoked a ham and a batch of jerky this week to hold me over while the smoker is disassembled. Tomorrow, we operate!

C0141C43-AE9F-4C05-AAE2-AB0C2F56A6A4.jpeg

I spent the entire morning combing hardware stores and Home Depot locating the parts I need. A visit to Starbucks was absolutely necessary. By the time I got home, it was raining cats and dogs and other misc. livestock. Perfect to crank on some Chris Stapleton and start plumbing.

18765E29-ADF0-404E-A8B1-4275947E14E1.jpeg

This is the assembly with two adjustment valves and the solenoid valve.

E22D2ACE-0AA8-4636-B48F-409AC61C14FA.jpeg

This shows how it is mounted in the dead air plenum I built last year. A plate with a baffle covers the whole mess. In the background you can see the relay and terminal blocks installed on a mounting plate.

C639AD38-CB36-4D4E-AAA6-13594CCBEF7A.jpeg

Here are the hi and low flame adjustment valves. The masking tape shows the outline for the PID controller. Two switches will be located here for power, the air pump, and convection fan.

Tomorrow, if it rains, I will install the fan, switches, and wiring. Or, take a nap. Naps are legal and guilt-free when it rains.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky