Rainbow of fermented hot peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
A little over a year ago I was given a BUNCH of crazy hot peppers by a neighbor. We're taking squrpions, reapers, bonnets, and all different colors.
PXL_20211003_222504923.jpg

So I sorted by color, cut them up, added a head of garlic from our garden, covered with water and added 2% salt by weight.
PXL_20211023_222807074.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Left them to ferment for a year.

I thought I was going to toss the yellow one because I though mold had grown down into it. But when I opened it up and removed the weight, it liked totally clean and yellow. The weight has been sticking above the brine and had accumulated some black stuff (was a film, didn't look like mold). They peppers underneath were bright yellow.

PXL_20221217_173924236.jpg

Today I blended them up with an additional 2% salt, 4% sugar, 1/16 tsp xantham per 300 g and 1 part white vinegar.

PXL_20221217_195645453.jpg

I've only tried the yellow one so far. It has a really nice flavor and sweet and sour smell. Very HOT but doesn't blow your head off, at least not mine. Wife won't try them.

Going to give the color sets out for gifts.

Nice work bud . I did one that was all Reapers from a 4 week ferment .
It was freakin hot .
Yours look great .

Very nice!! Glad your hard work is paying off a year later for you!! Great gifts!
Thanks!
Now there some nuggets, yellow one looks toxic like you said. But then again, hasn't posted since?
Love the droppers for gifts. HH
TBH I've eaten sketchier. I should have taken a picture from the top after the weight was removed, but I only touch things absolutely necessary when working with these peppers.
Nice work bud . I did one that was all Reapers from a 4 week ferment .
It was freakin hot .
Yours look great .

Thanks! Cutting with 1 part vinegar helped. Going to try one on dinner tonight.

Last night I made a gluten free loaf filled with ground beef, shitaki mushrooms, broccoli, green Chile and a little home made cheddar cheese. The loaf made a great tasting bed. My wife and 6 yo daughter tried all 4 sauces. The yellow and red were the best, had the most fruity flavor. The brown and orange had less flavor, more just plain hot. The orange and brown had way more underripe peppers, whereas the yellow and red were all fully ripe.

PXL_20221218_023526704.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky