Raccoon problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I loved raccoons when I saw them in pet stores. My love for them instantly evaporated as soon as they started living on the grounds of my house. They moved into our attic from a nearby woodland landing. Apparently, they were more comfortable in the attic. At night, they would stay awake and carry food there. We realized that it was them when we heard strange noises upstairs at night. I had to change the entire ventilation system because of them. After the raccoon removal team https://tampa.aaacwildliferemoval.com/raccoon-removal made a complete cleaning of the ventilation system, they informed us that the raccoons had damaged the system. Oh, how angry I was.

Last edited:
They can be a pain in the ass, and will reck a lot of stuff. Trap or pellet gun. Eliminate ASAP
Very possible rabid if out during the day and not retreating from man.

Oh, I'm so tired of the raccoons, they broke all the potted flowers on my balcony. I don't know how to get rid of them!

Hi there and welcome!

A racoon trap and a decent little air rifle/bb gun should do the trick.

I have a squirrel problem. I got 29 and 30 today with 31 poking around the trap.
At point blank this 1000 fps (foot per second) little air rifle for $70 at Academy gets the job done no problem and should for a racoon as well. Just put the shot in a vital area or in the back of he head area of a racoon and it will get the job done.

I prefer this route instead of drowning pests.
Also FYI, while looking up how to best deal with my squirrel problem I read that Racoon's have no problem with being relocated if you want to go that route.
Squirrels however do horribly with relocation unless during times of the year when food is plentiful. The other 3/4 times of the year squirrels struggle because they bury their food reserves and anytime when they don't have their food reserves they slowly die and starve, especially as temps get colder.
For this reason I just pop em... also I have a ton of them and usually only get 1 at a time even though I have a big repeating trap. I would have to be driving around all day relocating these guys AND once they realize they are trapped the squirrels go nuts nonstop trying to find a way out and I try to dispose of them as soon, swiftly, and painlessly so they don't stress and suffer long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Raccoons will go into the live traps, Duke's raccon traps are best when you need to target them.

I like raccoons, but they are too smart for their own good and thank God they are not the size of bears!!! One killed all my neighbors chickens as he forgot and left the coop open over night. They will climb our deer feeders if you let them run out and try and rip it open. Raccoons become a huge PITA when they find a small oppotunity to exploit. Live traps catch Possums which I always let go and sometimes a skunk. Sometimes they need a bullet just so I can not get sprayed. That is why the Duke traps are so helpful.

2nd the use of Duke's traps. 3 of those secured to a fence post and some .22 shorts solved my marauding Racoon problems. I then they were relocated up on the hill 2.5 feet deeper.

I had one find its way into my pole barn and tear its way into my chicken feed bin. I set a live trap outside the barn to try and catch it so I could dispatch it, and it did this:

coon escape.jpg

But it finally learned what happens when you keep putting your paws where they don't belong.

got it.jpg

A few years back we had one poking around on our back deck. Our cat decided to be "brave" and ran up to the slider, got up on his back legs, and pounded the glass with his front feet. The racoon was very unimpressed. He just looked at the cat for a couple seconds, then moseyed over to his side of the glass, stood up and BAMMM! Copied it exactly, and scared the heck out of the cat. He went running back into the bedroom to hide under the bed. Many times, I've wished I had gotten that on video.

Reactions: DougE
A few years back we had one poking around on our back deck. Our cat decided to be "brave" and ran up to the slider, got up on his back legs, and pounded the glass with his front feet. The racoon was very unimpressed. He just looked at the cat for a couple seconds, then moseyed over to his side of the glass, stood up and BAMMM! Copied it exactly, and scared the heck out of the cat. He went running back into the bedroom to hide under the bed. Many times, I've wished I had gotten that on video.
Hhahaha.

While deer hunting on year I saw a racoon trying to get at some corn in a deer feeder. This feeder is one of those over engineered industrial/commercial types that professional ranches use.

Well this thing was standing with hits back legs on a cross support bar reaching over this steel plate grabbing kernals of corn and eating them. The thing is these feeders have such powerful motors to throw corn that they are built to bounce it off and out from these plates and no racoons can ever get to the barrel with this full length plate in the way.

So I saw this racoon start doing this 1 minute before the feeder was going to go off and thought "OMG this thing is about to get blasted!!". Then BOOOOOOM!!!!
The feeder goes off and just pelts this racoon right in it's face with corn that bounces and shoots out at least 20feet around the feeder hahshahaha.
That sucker flew straight back in the air off his feet and landed on his back flat!!!

The racoon then scrambles real quick and gets on its feet and turns back and with a pissed off look just starts walking away all pissed off and defeated.

I was laughing so hard but trying to keep it quiet to not spook any wildlife hahahahahha.
The racoon was fine but man did he get blasted, it was hilarious! :)

CCI makes a wonderful quiet 22 round. I have a Gamo .177 cal rifle. Deadly accurate at 30 yards, rabbits, tree rats, raccoons, skunks.

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky