Quirks from the job that you bring home

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here's another one I can't stand from my stint in the corporate world: people who end their sentences on an upswing.

Every sentence sounds like a question. Hard to describe in a forum but it might go something like, "I was looking at the chart that you sent me? And I had some questions for you?"

You gotta sound more commanding than that.

At one point in my life I was a concrete finisher for a city municipality. Doing sidewalks, curbs and driveways. I was trained by an old timer in “perfection” and everything was picture framed. Thus, it’s looking at any concrete work for mistakes and how it was finished.

I don't know I' am always consciously trying not to yell "You fkin Idots" out loud instead of just in my head. Does that count lol? When you face the idiocy of the human race on a daily basis it's hard to look at people the same.
all I have to say.jpg

What things from your job bug you in real life? Here's what I mean...

I just bought a Weber SmokeFire and mentioned it on SMF. Someone said I should hit up or follow @chopsaw for advice on the thing because he has one and is gracious in giving out help and advice on the unit.

So I did the obligatory search before asking already answered questions when I hit this thread.

And then he says... "Aesthetics is everything in Carpentry , and when you do that for a living , the slightest deterrent from balance or proportion can be maddening to look at for me ."

I'm an old printer. For sure, I have a lot of pet peeves like bad typesetting, poor punctuation, etc. The #1 thing that absolutely drives me to distraction is crookedness. Can't stand it. I've been known to straighten pictures in doctors' waiting rooms.

What bugs you?

Murph
broadcast engineer.... and this isn't from work, but from freelance video and production. I want to slap the phone out of hands when I see people taking video in portrait mode versus landscape. fer crissakes folks is your TV mounted vertically or horizontally? I've also been told I'm a bit hard to watch TV and movies with. From bad edits and continuity issues to color balancing. You get that after 30 years of shooting and editing video. sorry... My journalism background used to make me crazy about spelling and diction before the stroke. I've backed off of that one, now being a one handed typist (left hand is pretty much useless these days). a short post like this take3s15-20 minutes to type and proof.

One non related irritant that gets me is when people say "I seen him/her/it/etc." instead of I saw.

English grammer has been thrown out the window. I wonder if people are not paying attention in school or just don't care. I takes just as much effort to learn something properly as it does improperly.

Drives me nuts,

John

Also in the printing industry and I am constantly looking at the "junk" mail sent to me finding errors or just poor execution.

Oh and when I am on my Jeep Wrangler forum and people use the sentence "why are my breaks making noise"! it is brakes!!!!

Reactions: bigfurmn
What bugs you?

Some things I can’t help but bring home. I have been a firefighter for over 20 years, so I tend to look at every situation and consider the bad outcomes. I also can’t watch any of the 911 type shows.
My first career was as an analytical chemist, so everything was both accurate and precise. However, I enjoy cooking, grilling, and smoking because I can relax and practice the art without getting caught up in the science. I can completely leave the accurate aspect at work. That part never carried over. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the science side and I certainly hear the same thing with some of the engineers responses, but it’s fun to practice an art too.

This isn't a quirk from my day job, but for 20 years I had a really cool one-day-a-year side gig as a crew chief for a major fireworks company. Before retiring from that two years ago, I ran July 4 firework shows for towns around the state. Kind of a dream job for a chemist...

Anyway, I still love watching firework shows, but in the back of my mind I'm still filing away cool choreography I'd like to use, or noting errors in the timing or sequencing or shell selection used.

30+ years in the bumper chroming business, the wife has learned to tune out my naming every make and model of vehicle we'd see while on the road.

• Haha
Reactions: bigfurmn
Well, I haven’t worked for 17 years (retired at 59). And luckily I was either an independent contractor or owned my own business when I was working, so I really didn’t have any of that drama. But I don’t have a pension either.:emoji_disappointed:
Al

• Sad
Reactions: negolien
I've been providing life and supplemental benefits to groups for over 30 yrs.
Before that a plumber/elec for 13 yrs. I still check out the outlets in every room to make sure they're all turned the same way and mounted correctly. Take notice of every faucet and still have a "plumbers' eye" and use it on a regular basis ....according to my wife :emoji_laughing: .

Now with my current profession.....
try to imagine asking woman that you come in contact with...her weight :emoji_astonished:
And when they refuse , my response is that I was pretty good with livestock in the FFA.
If they will get on all fours I can get within 5 lbs :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Keith

I'm working on my 47th year as a tractor/trailer truck driver--on road and off. Watching all the incompetent and simply brain dead drivers on the roads just drives me nuts.
Gary

Sorry, don’t mean to hi jack this thread, but Gary I’m still waiting to see you on TV. The Weather channel has all those Canadian trucker shows & I‘m still wishing I will see your rig on one of them. And I’m wondering if you were involved in that protest? Once again, sorry for the hijack.
Al

After driving truck for 10 years and school Bus for 32 years, it bugs me to no end when one can not back into a spot and be straight line with the side of bus or truck as well as the front end. Wife keeps tell me to get over it...

Mmm, without revealing too much, let's just say I work in the court system.
Reviewing police reports, it always amazes me (in these days of spell-check) that I see something like, "...the suspect tried to steel the item...". There, their, and they're, are always abused.
Reports have to be written fully and completely in order to hold a suspect after their arrest. For a minor allegation, the officer can sometimes go on for pages. But when something truly horrific crosses my desk, the initial report is only a couple sentences long. That's a hard sell to a judge.

Also, occasionally I have to answer phone calls from the public.
(My favorite Parks and Recreation, Ron Swanson line goes: "I hate the public. The public is stupid." Many people say I remind them of Ron Swanson.)
Apparently, Civics isn't taught in the school systems anymore. Most callers are flummoxed to learn that the real court system doesn't work exactly like on Law & Order, or whatever courtroom drama they're watching. No one ever gets arrested, and then goes to trial in a week.

Lame excuses for missing court irk me as well. Some I've heard include:
My mom didn't wake me in time. (He's 45 years old.)
I live in X and there was a big crash on the freeway, so I can't make it. (Yeah, I live there too, but somehow I made it on time.)
I have to be somewhere else tomorrow. Can I reschedule? (No. It's not a dentist appointment. You can go to jail.)
I can't get transportation. (Your hearing is in 2 weeks. There are planes, trains, buses, and automobiles. Figure it out.)

Statistically speaking, it's an amazing anomaly with how many, many people suffer a flat tire on the way to their court hearings.
Bomb threats are rare, but somehow always happen on a Friday, the day when sentencings take place.
Fire evacuation drills are always scheduled to interfere with the lunch hour, and if possible, when it's raining outside.

This isn't a quirk from my day job, but for 20 years I had a really cool one-day-a-year side gig as a crew chief for a major fireworks company. Before retiring from that two years ago, I ran July 4 firework shows for towns around the state. Kind of a dream job for a chemist...

Anyway, I still love watching firework shows, but in the back of my mind I'm still filing away cool choreography I'd like to use, or noting errors in the timing or sequencing or shell selection used.
Assuming you're not a, "Here, hold my beer" kind of guy. :emoji_wink:

Assuming you're not a, "Here, hold my beer" kind of guy. :emoji_wink:
I can be...it all depends on what I'm doing. :emoji_slight_smile: But with the big pyro, I was always plenty cautious. I got through 20 years without anyone getting hurt.

Oh, we had a couple of spectacular mishaps--the quality control on some of the imported shells isn't what it should be--but the safety protocols always kept everyone safe.

Reactions: bigfurmn and kawboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky