quick ham question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Bullhead City, AZ
ok guys I got caught off guard. thought my uncle was smoking the ham but i guess i am. just want to make sure i get this right cause i didnt bring notes. its a store bought ham butt with the bone in & alot of added water. im thinking i will inject it with some toni's then rub it down with some brown sugar in the morning then take it to about 165. sound about right??

Pre cooked ham is easy all your doing is heating it up while applying smoke,

160° is fine 165° won't hurt. try mixing a little pinapple or orange juice w/ the brown sugar to make a paste and apply this to the ham b4 smoking

I just did one and put a glaze on it that was awesome. It was 2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups honey, and a stick of butter. Heat those together and glaze the ham about every 30-45 minutes.

I just did one and put a glaze on it that was awesome. It was 2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups honey, and a stick of butter. Heat those together and glaze the ham about every 30-45 minutes.

Boy, does that sound tasty and decadent! Like the pineapple juice idea, too. Lotta good ideas on this one! I also like to add a vanilla bead (split & scraped) to my glaze. Mine has a bit of dijon, apple or currant jelly and reduced champagne.  But I really like what the vanilla adds.

Pre-Cooked Ham - A ham that has been heated during some part of the processing to an internal temperature exceeding 137°F but less than 148° F. Most commercially processed hams are heated to a temperature of 140° F. Temperatures reaching 137° F will kill the trichina parasite. A partially cooked ham still requires additional cooking prior to eating. It must be heated to an internal temperature of 160° F. 
I would go more 155, then wrap in foil for 1/2 hour.

All great advice above. One thing that I like is poking whole cloves all around the outside about 2" apart, something I grew up with and still love.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky