Quick and Easy Rib Membrane Removal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
I was having a conversation with my boss this week and told him I was smoking some ribs this weekend. His comment was he loves ribs but hates smoking them, specifically because he has a lot of trouble removing the membrane. I promised I'd make a video for him, and figured I'd share it here as undoubtedly other folks have this issue!

I don't claim to have invented this method (the paper towel part specifically I remember reading in numerous places), but thought it might be helpful to folks to post the video.

Quick and easy guide:
  1. Slide a knife between a bone at the end of the rack and the membrane. I use a buck knife that is sharp on both sides. This makes cutting and scoring it a breeze (after all, this knife is designed for skinning animals). In reality though, most knives should work.
  2. Separate the membrane from the bone.
  3. Score along the bone several times to ensure the membrane is completely severed.
  4. Grab and pull, and that's it! I use a paper towel for this last step - it really helps to get a good grip on the membrane.
Here's a quick video of these steps in action

Thanks for the tip! Never heard of paper towels before, makes it look easier for sure. Do you find temperature of the rack has any bearing on how easy it is? Is it easier when they are close to frozen or doesn't matter...

I'm on the fence about this. I use the paper towel method but sometimes it just doesn't want to come off. I try for a minute or two and if it's a hassle I just blow it off.
Never noticed a difference anyway other than being able to get rub into both sides.

I stopped removing the membrane. When I first started smoking ribs I didn't know about the membrane. Then I started to remove it once I started watching BBQ pitmasters and endless videos online. About the same time my wife started complaining about there being no flavor in the ribs. I tried endless different things only for her to say the same thing. So I decided one day to leave the membrane on. She ranted and raved about how those were the ribs she used to eat. So I started leaving the membrane on them. To me it also makes quite a bit of difference in taste with it left on vs taken off. But to each there own!

I stopped removing the membrane. When I first started smoking ribs I didn't know about the membrane. Then I started to remove it once I started watching BBQ pitmasters and endless videos online. About the same time my wife started complaining about there being no flavor in the ribs. I tried endless different things only for her to say the same thing. So I decided one day to leave the membrane on. She ranted and raved about how those were the ribs she used to eat. So I started leaving the membrane on them. To me it also makes quite a bit of difference in taste with it left on vs taken off. But to each there own!
I've had great results both with and without the membrane. The main point of my post wasn't to advocate one way or the other, but to give some tips for those that elect to remove it!

I was having a conversation with my boss this week and told him I was smoking some ribs this weekend. His comment was he loves ribs but hates smoking them, specifically because he has a lot of trouble removing the membrane. I promised I'd make a video for him, and figured I'd share it here as undoubtedly other folks have this issue!

I don't claim to have invented this method (the paper towel part specifically I remember reading in numerous places), but thought it might be helpful to folks to post the video.

Quick and easy guide:
  1. Slide a knife between a bone at the end of the rack and the membrane. I use a buck knife that is sharp on both sides. This makes cutting and scoring it a breeze (after all, this knife is designed for skinning animals). In reality though, most knives should work.
  2. Separate the membrane from the bone.
  3. Score along the bone several times to ensure the membrane is completely severed.
  4. Grab and pull, and that's it! I use a paper towel for this last step - it really helps to get a good grip on the membrane.
Here's a quick video of these steps in action

I use hemostats. I have a pair of 12 inch ones. I grab the membranes and just roll the hemostat from one end to the other. Works real nice.

I'm on the fence about this. I use the paper towel method but sometimes it just doesn't want to come off. I try for a minute or two and if it's a hassle I just blow it off.
Never noticed a difference anyway other than being able to get rub into both sides.
I have found the racks I buy at the big box stores e.g. BJ's sometimes have that problem. I've stopped buying ribs there and buy them at Publix now. They're a touch more expensive but a better quality rack IMO. Ribs and wings I buy at Publix, pork shoulders and whole chickens at BJ's.

for me... i use the back of a spoon, with the curvy part facing the bone (so that the curve is concaved, not convex to the bone). i slide the back end of the spoon under the membrane to the other end... then slide my finger under the membrane and lift to the shortest side... i then use a paper towel to grab the end of the membrane and pull... bam.. !

I usually just find a piece that I can grab onto with a paper towel and give it a tear. Someone posted a test they did about smoking with membrane on and off. I think it was Bearcarver Bearcarver or SmokinAl SmokinAl and I think he smokes them with the membrane on now.

I used to always remove the membrane. Then, for some reason, I thought why not just score the membrane with a sharp knife. I just run a sharp knife across the bones 3 or 4 times. It allows the rub to penetrate the membrane side, but still allows some of that tasty membrane to remain. That's my standard practice these days.

Reactions: SKade
I usually just find a piece that I can grab onto with a paper towel and give it a tear. Someone posted a test they did about smoking with membrane on and off. I think it was Bearcarver Bearcarver or SmokinAl SmokinAl and I think he smokes them with the membrane on now.

That was SmokinAl.
I find the texture of Rib Membrane Offensive. But maybe that's just me.

Bear

I start seperating the membrane from the middle of the rib, not an end. Easier to pull up and doesn't tear as much.
agree... i use the back end of a spoon and aim for the middle of the rack.. slide the spoon, then my finger.. pull to one side and use a paper tower to grab the lifted end and pull the rest out.

Well fellows if you prefer the membrane off then take it off when the ribs are done. It will peel right off easily & you will retain all the juices in the ribs, that would have leaked out if the membrane had not held them in. Here is a photo of the membrane just bulging with juice that would have gone into the fire if it was removed before smoking it.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky