Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvman

Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I have a Great Outdoors propane smoker like the one below and todays smoke consist of a 8 lb butt and while I was in the store they had a special on some boneless pork ribs so I bought two large pack of them as well. Buy one get one free
My questions is, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know which rack I should put the butt on or the ribs. Do I want the ribs above the butt or below? Thank You for your help. Newbie just learning

0006019700298_215X215.jpg

don't have one of those smokers but I would probably put the rib on the
upper or the one that has the easiest access as they will require more
attention, spraying, basting etc.

Well, I've always been told hot air rises and that hotter temps would be at the top of the smoker. Of course my temp guage dis-prove this.
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

Probably really doesn't matter and since you have sliding grates, you can easily move them around.
The ribs (country style) will not take anywhere near as long as the butt. (I am doing an 8.5# tomorrow). I usually put boneless ribs on the grill, not the smoker. I was told by several smokemasters to have only bone-in ribs on the smoker.
icon_question.gif
The fat will drop from the butt, so if you do put the ribs below it, it would add a wonderful flavoring to the ribs.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Country style ribs are just sliced butt. I don't think it will matter where you put the meat. Closer to the flame will be the hottest spot.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You'll do just fine either way.

Good luck.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky