Question about this small brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KY Smoking

Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
Was talking to one of my customers about smoking. Said each year he butchers a whole cow, but he and his wife do not eat the ribs or brisket. They either give it away or toss it. He brought me what he had left in the freezer. Said when he does one this fall, bringing me all of it. I have never done a brisket under 12 lbs, so wondering if it takes as long as the larger briskets as it is only 4.5 lbs. Smoking it and the ribs tomorrow, but not sure what time to start the brisket for a 6pm dinner.
Those long ribs are 1.5 lbs each. Going to be a feast.
20220823_204931.jpg
20220823_204951.jpg
20220823_204928.jpg
20220823_204936.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Boy, I've never smoked a brisket that small. I'm guessing 6-7 hours @ 250F. Maybe someone else has more experience for one this size.

Before I would ever pitch this, I would grind it into hamburger.

Most of mine have been that size. All I can say is this is monitor the IT. I am not a wrap guy if I have the time and a cut that small can take some serious time. 10 plus in many cases.

Here's one I did that trimmed out at 5 1/2 pounds . I like the small ones the best .
I finish my briskets in the oven though .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
In Austin we pay through the nose for beef plate ribs, so if you toss them, toss them my way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky