Question about lowering chimney to grates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

relic1882

Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Pennsylvania
So I bought the tuning baffles for my OK Highland and when I bought them I asked the store at bbqsmokermods.com if they have anything ready to install to lower the stack down to the grill grates. They responded by saying that they don't recommend lowering the stack if I'm already using the tuning plates. However from researching nearly everyone says its one of the most important mods. Can someone give me more insight on what to do and why?

Last edited:
i dont have tuning plates  but i did lower the stack to the grill lvl  using a piece  of duct  i got from lowes  3  inch i think it is a couple bucks. why extend the stack because it increases  draw  out of the chamber . think of it like the exhaust  out of your engine. the reason you add headers  to your car is to get the exhaust gasses  out of the engine more efficiently  giving you more HP. its similar to that with the smoker you increase the length of the smoke stack  you get  better movement of heat and smoke  in the cook chamber and out of it and  heat rises  lowering the exhaust brings the heat lower closer to the grill.  you burn a cleaner fire... better smoke, better heat, better bbq if done right or thats the theory  anyways 

When lowering the exhaust, inside the smoker, keep the intake about 4" or so above the meat grate...  The grating "can" restrict the air flow to the exhaust....  

I also went with bbqsmokermods product for the highland, and after installing the highland kit I was still having the temp offset at cook grate level. Went to my local Tru value, since the big box stores only sold galvanized duct, and installed the aluminum 90 degree duct. Now my temperature left to right is about a 5 degree difference compared to 30 before installing the chimney extension. I am happy with it and it doesn't take up that much room. I was able to smoke 4 leg quarters and 12 country style ribs with no problems. I highly recommend this mod and like DaveOmak said keep it about 4 inches above grate level

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky