Question about fat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denis j

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
I was wondering how everyone trims the pork they use for sausages and how they choose what to keep and what to discard?  When I buy a pork shoulder I think I go overboard when trimming it down for my sausage.  My process is I feel the pork as I'm cutting it up, and if the fat in it feels too firm then I cut it out as best I can.  I always discard blood vessel and silverskin when trimming it down, but I feel like I am wasting too much fat and lean when I prep.  Does anyone have any good "rules" they follow on what to keep and what to toss, or a link to a video or post that would help me out?

Thanks,

Denis

Hello Denis.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Sorry I can be of no help for your question but someone will be along soon and educate both of us,  Good Luck!

Danny

i usually just trim off any heavy fat there is really no rule of thumb it all depends on how lean or fat you want your sausage,yes trim off any blood spots, also if you use pork butt there is usually a gland they leave on them you'll want to get this out, it looks like a little gray ball, you can usually see it on the edge of butt if you look good. if notjust look when your cutting the meat up and you should see it. 

I was wondering how everyone trims the pork they use for sausages and how they choose what to keep and what to discard?  When I buy a pork shoulder I think I go overboard when trimming it down for my sausage.  My process is I feel the pork as I'm cutting it up, and if the fat in it feels too firm then I cut it out as best I can.  I always discard blood vessel and silverskin when trimming it down, but I feel like I am wasting too much fat and lean when I prep.  Does anyone have any good "rules" they follow on what to keep and what to toss, or a link to a video or post that would help me out?

Thanks,

Denis
I trim out the gland, any blood clots and silver skin, but leave the firm fat and cut out the soft jello like fat.  Just my opinion

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky