Question about brining a pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I have a half boneless pork loin that I put in a brine of 4 cups water, 3/4 cup course salt, and some raw sugar. Didn't really measure the sugar but probably 1/2 cup. My plans were to cook the loin tomorrow after church, but now we're invited to a fish fry and my wife really wants to go. That'll move the loin cook to Monday afternoon.

My question is how long is too long to leave the loin in the brine? I just don't want it to be too salty, but also don't want it to be dry.

When curing I use about 1/4c of salt for 4c water, about 3/8c sugar. Since you're only brining a couple days, though.. I am not sure how much will penetrate.

You could always dump it out and remake the brine, to be safe- sugar and salt are cheap!

When curing I use about 1/4c of salt for 4c water, about 3/8c sugar. Since you're only brining a couple days, though.. I am not sure how much will penetrate.

You could always dump it out and remake the brine, to be safe- sugar and salt are cheap!
Thanks, Hamdrew. I won't be back home until late tonight at which time I had planned to remove it from the brine and just let it sit in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap. That would've been about 8 hours in the brine. I'll probably just remake the brine when we get home and leave it in until Sunday night, maybe Monday.

Reactions: Hamdrew
That's a pretty hot brine. I use about half the salt you do for a cover brine. But I like injecting a brine as it saves time. 1 gram of salt per ounce of water or apple juice is the top end for me. A mix using 0.5 grams of salt per ounce of liquid is the minimum I'll use. I inject 3 or 4 hours before smoking.

i would do a quick fry test before ya cook just to make sure it's not to salty
So I did this and it was too salty, at least for my taste.
You can always double or triple the water in the brine to dilute it.....
So I did this. I seriously diluted the water. I'll probably wash, rinse, and repeat later today.

Thanks, guys for the advice..

I have a half boneless pork loin that I put in a brine of 4 cups water, 3/4 cup course salt, and some raw sugar. Didn't really measure the sugar but probably 1/2 cup. My plans were to cook the loin tomorrow after church, but now we're invited to a fish fry and my wife really wants to go. That'll move the loin cook to Monday afternoon.

My question is how long is too long to leave the loin in the brine? I just don't want it to be too salty, but also don't want it to be dry.
Here's what I always do...
I slice a thin piece off and.pan fry it to taste for saltiness (not overall flavor, that changes when smoked, I'm just testing the salt content). If it's too salty I soak it in cool water for 30-40 minutes and repeat and do this as many times as necessary to get the to level of saltiness I like.
I do this with ALL my brined roasts and loins.

This is why equilibrium brining is a better way. Dry cures too. Never over salty or sweet.
I love all of these random ingredient amounts in brine that never work out. Nice opportunity to show a better way, a consistent way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky