Qing a Brisket Today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frybob

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 6, 2007
Poulsbo, WA
I have a question. I'm smoking my 5th ever brisket today. I bought a small full brisket from Walmart. After trimming it it weighs 7.8 lbs. I started it at 3:30am this morning. I was figuring that it would take about 12 hours and finish up aroun 4 to 4:30 pm. Well, it is now 6:40pm and it is now at 159 degrees. About two hours ago I put a second thermometer in it just to make sure my thermometer wasn't bad. They are both reading 159 degrees. They have been smoking at 225 degrees since 3:30 am. All the other briskets I've smoked finished up in the alotted 1.5 hours per pound guideline, give or take an hour or so. But this bad boy has been smoking for 15 hours now. I'm planning on waiting it out but was wondering if this is normal sometimes. Fortunatly I had some left over ribs and pulled pork from yesterday to have for dinner tonight. Any help or comments would be greatly appricated. I have an offset smoker made by charbroil. I'm using a propane afterburner for my heat source.

Thanks,
Bob

Sounds like you hit the infamous temperature plateau.....trying doing a search on temperature or plateau and you'll get some handy information on getting past this barrier and on to the brisket results you are looking for.

Good Luck....!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You have hit the notorious "plateau" that you read about in here. Be sure to keep your temp up as close to 250* - 300* as you can. It will eventually get up to the magic 200* mark. Do not get discouraged....
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky