Q View: Thighs, Keilbasa, X1 Fattie, w/ ABTs & Crostini

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wntrlnd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
out on the western plain
I first tried this recipe I got from raptor700 a couple weeks ago but my camera battery was dead and I didn't get to do a Q view.  The chicken was delicious and his method solved the problem of rubbery skin very nicely.

I started with a package of thighs from Albertson's.  No brine, no injection, just a careful trim, a dusting of rub, and into an aluminum pan (bottom covered with squeezable Parkay).

f3dfb639_IMG_2080.jpg

Tightly covered with foil, smoker at 250 for 45 min.  Then foil comes off and they're turned skin side down for another 45 min.  Then they come out of the aluminum pan and finish directly on the smoker grates.

While I have the door open, I add the fattie:

1a879bbb_IMG_2085.jpg

This was somewhat of an experimental fattie.  The last couple fatties I made I used my local butcher's breakfast sausage.  This time I blended some Jimmy Dean Hot into it.  I also had the idea to take big hunks of baked potato and wrap them cheese and then in whole roasted red peppers and then roll them up fattie style.

I decided to experiment a little with my ABTs this time, too.  I added goat cheese to my three-blend cheese/cream cheese filling mixture.  I loved the addition!

I read an old thread by Geek with Fire where he did some Idahoppers.  I made mine on the half shell.

29b0be15_IMG_2091.jpg

Whew, glad I remembered there was a Beef Keilbasa in the fridge!  I put it on when I added the ABTs.

cf430c9d_IMG_2092.jpg

Here's the chicken as it comes off.  That skin is delicious, yo!

17553ea9_IMG_2087.jpg

Here are the ABTs:

00b8ddf7_IMG_2097.jpg

Here's that beef kielbasa:

e3dfe0b6_IMG_2100.jpg

Sliced up:

6a19552f_IMG_2101.jpg

Here's the appetizer platter for tonight's dinner.  I toasted some baguette slices and topped them with goat cheese and heirloom tomatoes.  I put the ABTs in under the toaster oven broiler to crisp up the bacon a bit.

8b8351ea_IMG_2102.jpg

Here comes the fattie!

5596a5fd_IMG_2108.jpg

I can't wait to see the inside!  (But I should have!  The cheese ran out and I had to put it back in.  LOL!)

da51e46c_IMG_2112.jpg

Here are some more yummy fattie shots:

56c52916_IMG_2121.jpg

dd6cef46_IMG_2117.jpg

And here is what dinner looked like:

dcc64d09_IMG_2128.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the Q view!

Thanks for lookin' in!

Last edited:
@#$%^&&,   i want to party with you!!!!

didnt bill murray say that in stripes?     i beleive he did    and that is a spread for kings

where is that western plain cause i might stop in real soon brother

Great looking smoke but I have a couple of questions about the bird.

With the chicken being covered the first 45 minutes, how much smoke flavor does it pick up? I've always thought that early on is when you get the good smoke flavor. And what is the point of covering it? To keep it from drying out I guess but it seems that the danger in that is mainly in the second half of the smoke? Like with BB ribs we go 2-2-1 where the middle portion is the foil time. I mean... I don't know. I'm asking you because you've done it with good success. Just trying to understand it.  

That looks awesome.  Glad the skin worked out for you.  I'll have to remember this method.  It's like a modified version of Mixon's muffin pan chicken.  Congrats on a successful smoke!

Great looking smoke but I have a couple of questions about the bird.

With the chicken being covered the first 45 minutes, how much smoke flavor does it pick up? I've always thought that early on is when you get the good smoke flavor. And what is the point of covering it? To keep it from drying out I guess but it seems that the danger in that is mainly in the second half of the smoke? Like with BB ribs we go 2-2-1 where the middle portion is the foil time. I mean... I don't know. I'm asking you because you've done it with good success. Just trying to understand it.  
Excellent question! 

Raptor700 explained to me that the foiling for the first 45 min is the key to avoiding rubbery skin.  Smoke makes raw skin rubbery.   During the first 45 min the thighs are cooking with the skin side up, but they're protected by the foil.  Then, when you turn them, the skin is submerged in the melted Parkay and again protected from the smoke. 

In that 2nd 45 min period you remove the foil and allow the meaty side to take on smoke flavor. After 90 minutes the skin is partially cooked and now can be safely exposed to smoke without it turning to rubber.

Taking them out of the pan and setting them on the smoker grates for the last period allows the skin to dry and finish crisping while they continue to take on smoke.  In the very last minutes, I kind of rotate them around and move them a little closer to the firebox, too, just looking to get it even crispier. 
@#$%^&&,   i want to party with you!!!!

didnt bill murray say that in stripes?     i beleive he did    and that is a spread for kings

where is that western plain cause i might stop in real soon brother
LOL!  Thanks, miamirick!  Very much appreciated.  (and one of my favorite movies from back in the day!  LOL!)

In this case, out on the western plain is Ventura, California.  I'm about a mile from the beach and a half mile from el camino real.

That looks awesome.  Glad the skin worked out for you.  I'll have to remember this method.  It's like a modified version of Mixon's muffin pan chicken.  Congrats on a successful smoke!
Thanks, Dude! 

I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement!  I'm very appreciative of this community and of how amazingly generous the members are.  I had a problem with my built in thermometer, and immediately Dick Foster clues me in to the Maverick ET-73.  Sweet!   Then I have a problem like the rubbery skin, and immediately I get a solution from raptor700!  Super sweet!

Thanks for mentioning it, Dude!   I'm going to have to read up on Mixon's muffin pan chicken now, too!

Last edited:
I like the looks of that chicken, I have 8 quarters defrosting, gonna give that a try.

Thanks for the tip on the Idahoppers, they sound interesting, I'll do a search for them.

Ventura..., I used to live just up the road from you in SLO county, sure wish I was there now, I'd like to drop by and sample, great looking food.

Gene

I like the looks of that chicken, I have 8 quarters defrosting, gonna give that a try.

Thanks for the tip on the Idahoppers, they sound interesting, I'll do a search for them.

Ventura..., I used to live just up the road from you in SLO county, sure wish I was there now, I'd like to drop by and sample, great looking food.

Gene
Thanks, Gene!   The first time I used this method it was with quarters.  Worked just fine!

The Idahoppers are outrageously good!  I was seriously wishing I had made more.  I used potatoes that were a little bigger than golf ball size and baked them off the night before.  They were easy to scoop out after a night in the fridge. 

ABTs are an automatic for me every time I smoke.  Now I'm adding the Idahoppers to the routine. 

I really like SLO too.  The almond wood I burn comes from the Almond Brothers, a SLO company. 

Good to know you, Gene!

Oh man, that all looks good enough to eat!  I'll have to try the Idahoppers, thanks for sharing.
thanks, itsmetimd!  i really appreciate the feedback! 

as soon as i saw Geek with Fire's version i couldn't wait to try to make some!  now i just can't wait to make some more!  LOL 

That all looks absolutely Awesome !

Moe & Larry would be proud of you!

Bear
hey Bear, thank you, kindly!   i spend a lot of time reading back threads and gleaning tips and techniques from all the long time members here.  i owe all you guys an enormous debt of gratitude.  i've smoked fewer than 20 times total and i'm already turning out pretty good stuff.  without SMF i'd still be fumbling around in the dark without a clue.

Now I have another on the to do list, never tried it like that, thanks for the qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
thanks, meateater!  i appreciate the comments!

and, for me, that's the best thing about Q views:  i'm always getting inspired to try new things.   and it's fun to see how everyone individualizes their versions.
why, was it cold out and you needed someone to warm you up?
LOL, rick! 

he shoots.........he scores!

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a try.

Excellent question! 

Raptor700 explained to me that the foiling for the first 45 min is the key to avoiding rubbery skin.  Smoke makes raw skin rubbery.   During the first 45 min the thighs are cooking with the skin side up, but they're protected by the foil.  Then, when you turn them, the skin is submerged in the melted Parkay and again protected from the smoke. 

In that 2nd 45 min period you remove the foil and allow the meaty side to take on smoke flavor. After 90 minutes the skin is partially cooked and now can be safely exposed to smoke without it turning to rubber.

Taking them out of the pan and setting them on the smoker grates for the last period allows the skin to dry and finish crisping while they continue to take on smoke.  In the very last minutes, I kind of rotate them around and move them a little closer to the firebox, too, just looking to get it even crispier. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky