Python 3 brine and cure calculator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I only used the USDA handbook for the formulas. I wasn't intending to use commercial methodology for home processing. The PPM numbers came out properly and that is really all I was looking for. I also added a sugar concentration calculation to my program so you can easily tailor your salt and sugar content of your finished product. As I mentioned before, I am not trying to challenge or disprove any one else's methods or data.

If any one wants the source code, I am happy to share.

Last edited:
I only used the USDA handbook for the formulas. I wasn't intending to use commercial methodology for home processing. The PPM numbers came out properly and that is really all I was looking for. I also added a sugar concentration calculation to my program so you can easily tailor your salt and sugar content of your finished product. As I mentioned before, I am not trying to challenge or disprove any one else's methods or data.

I was only wanting to insure your final amounts were good... Trying to convert commercial methods for home use can be tough to understand... Commercial processors think differently... different scale.... They don't pamper any hunk of meat... It's wham, bam, thank you ma'am 24/7....

Reactions: JC in GB
Dave,
Can you help me understand what you mean by this, and recommend proper strategies?
For home curing, I think we are naturally forced to modify our processes simply due to the equipment we have available to us. For example, we use syringes for injecting cure because we don’t have pump stations at home. But whether curing at home or on an industrial scale, the same nitrite levels should be targeted. To that extent, JC’s calculator works as intended.

OK, I think I've got it....
I make up a mix for injection.... If the meat weighs 10#'s, I weigh out the proper amount of STPP, sugar, salt and cure#1... I dissolve those, in that order, into my injection liquid... which I generally use 10% weight of the meat...
I do NOT adjust the ingredient amounts for the liquid I'm injecting... I figure most of it will evaporate during the cook leaving behind the ingredients... If that is totally not the case, -(minus) up to 10% still puts the ingredients in an acceptable range for cure and flavor....
Unlike the needle injector at a processor, we do a "better" job... They have allowances during the process also...

Uncooked cured beef products (covered under the MPI Regulations, sections 319.100, 102, and 103) and pork products not covered under the PFF regulations (PM 66C) may contain up to 10% added ingredients (solution) without a label declaration.

For PFF-controlled cured pork products, heat processed pickle-cured pork bellies/jowls, cooked cured beef products, etc., FSIS will permit an allowance of up to plus or minus 20% of the targeted % pump/pick-up before action is required because different pieces of meat or poultry were used to calculate the effective or actual % pump/pick-up.

So, following those rules, we would be allowed an injection range of 8-12% measured injected, to comply with a 10% injection... Pumped, Pick Up to the meat..
And, I have found, when injecting meats with the proper amounts, then bagging and keeping in the refer for 6-14 days, the liquid "usually" is absorbed back into the meat...

Thanks Dave, that helps a lot.
In terms of converting industrial practices to home processing, one thing that I see as a point of contention is whether to use the equilibrium calculation or %pick-up calculation.
The great thing about your process (linked below) is that it gets rid of that concern. I’ve graphically summarized the various curing recipes to make the point: The plot shows how much Cure#1 is needed for a given amount of water (for 156ppm NaNO2), depending on which calculation is used. Your recipe gives water/cure#1 ratios that essentially correspond with the intersection point of equilibrium and %pick-up calculation!
Thanks again,
Picture1.jpg

Dave’s recipe:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ham-from-fresh-picnics-update-10-21-money.236375/

That is a very nice chart of the comparative methods. I was hoping to maybe run a chart using my calculator with salt, sugar, and cure per weight plots. I have learned a great deal about the science of curing in this thread. Thank you guys for your input.

Please remember the amount of 156 Ppm nitrite or 0.25% cure#1 are Maximum allowable for sausage..
200 Ppm dry rub for bacon and 120 Ppm injected for bacon are Maximum allowable skin on bellies and 10% less for skinless, if you are a commercial processor... At home, it's probably best to try and imitate commercial standards... just get close.. The cure police aren't watching you.... yet....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky