Put on smoker straight from refrigerator???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
Y'all are the smartest, friendliest folks I know. You are willing to share......I LISTEN. Do you put your meat straight from refrigerator --in order to get more smoke because possibly cold meat absorbs more smoke OR let it sit on counter to warm up a little?????

Now if you could only get your brother out of California to join the rest of us God-fearing rednecks................(just kidding)

And heck I don't really even know if there is a true benefit for steak. Just what my grand dad tought me and I've always done it

Reactions: Millberry
I usually put meats on the counter after I get everything setup with the smoker, while I wait for cook temp to get where it need to be. Most of the time 10-15 minutes on the counter. I have done direct from the fridge to the smoker and not noticed any difference in the finished product.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I usually put meats on the counter after I get everything setup with the smoker, while I wait for cook temp to get where it need to be. Most of the time 10-15 minutes on the counter. I have done direct from the fridge to the smoker and not noticed any difference in the finished product.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me........so nice

Reactions: MJB05615
I don't believe there's any difference in final results... I think it just helps temps from dropping so much and getting back up to cooking temps quicker...

Jake.. as far as steaks go... especially thinner ones ... I keep them as cold as possible as I like a good char on the outside... If they are really cold it takes longer to cook giving them more time to get that char on the outside before the inside gets to desired temps ... When set out to come up to room temp... It's that much closer to being at desired finish temp ... I use a SCREAM'N hot fire to cook them on ...

I don't believe there's any difference in final results... I think it just helps temps from dropping so much and getting back up to cooking temps quicker...

Jake.. as far as steaks go... especially thinner ones ... I keep them as cold as possible as I like a good char on the outside... If they are really cold it takes longer to cook giving them more time to get that char on the outside before the inside gets to desired temps ... When set out to come up to room temp... It's that much closer to being at desired finish temp ... I use a SCREAM'N hot fire to cook them on ...
Thank you sooooo much. I almost "worship" opinions from this forum.

I go from fridge to smoker most of the time I see no advantage to letting it sit out. The colder it is the longer it has to develop the smoke ring which you can't taste nor does it really do anything for the meat but many of us sure like to see it

I go from fridge to smoker most of the time I see no advantage to letting it sit out. The colder it is the longer it has to develop the smoke ring which you can't taste nor does it really do anything for the meat but many of us sure like to see it
That’s where I am. Agreed

I don’t unless it’s steak which I just started this year. I do think it gives a better cooking profile when doing a reverse sear....but maybe I’m wrong.

I noticed that folks worship that smoke ring.. Do you get good smoke taste going straight from refrigerator to smoker?--or do you think it matters? Thank you for your reply

When I do brisket, I pull it from the fridge, unwrap, trim, and rub it as my coals and fire are getting started and stabilized. It ends upon close to room temp.

Aaron Franklin warms beef to room temperature. He feels it gives a more even cook.

My room temperature brisket turns out pretty good. Here's one I did a few days ago. :emoji_slight_smile:

IMG_8080.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky