Pulling a vacuum for firebox insulation.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fitter27

Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
Read the forum but never post. Working on another stick burner. Previously I’ve used rock wool to insulate the fire box. Worked fine but I was wondering if anyone has ever thought to pull a vacuum instead of filling with insulation? I’m a Pipefitter/welder so sealing it is not an issue and I also have access to equipment to pull a vacuum. Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

trying to hold a static vacuum on steel is very difficult. You could attempt to seal the steel with some kind of coating but you would just be delaying the inevitable. How well you can weld is only a small fraction of the problem, steel is porous and you will lose your vacuum quickly

I guess what I am trying to say is it’s probably gonna be way more of a pain in the ass than it’s worth

I would bet it would work pretty good, you will have a port to ck the vacuum and to redo or pressurize and look for a leak, I would think something pretty heavy for the inner layer to keep the warpage down, they have been making vacuum bottles for years

Thanks guys for the input. I think I might still try it since I’m just curious. If it doesn’t work I’ll drill some holes and fill it with some high temp expandable foam or something and patch the holes.

Thanks guys for the input. I think I might still try it since I’m just curious. If it doesn’t work I’ll drill some holes and fill it with some high temp expandable foam or something and patch the holes.
Did you ever try the vacuum? I was thinking the same thing - I've already got a good vacuum pump. Even if I had to pull it again before each cook that would probably be doable if the benefit was worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky