Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

undy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
New York
Need to smoke an 8 lb boston butt for tomorrow to serve at noon. I was think of smoking overnight on my traeger. I was thinking of smoking at 180, put on at 11PM and then when I get up at 6 to increase to 225. Do you think there is a chance it could be down around 11AM?

Thanks

I will bet yes, bump it up to 275-300 when you get up, that will probably leave time to rest it before pulling .

I like to do the same thing but I bump to 225 for a 6 pm cook

Why 180? Seems like it would really dry out?

Personally, 250 degrees, put it on at 10-11 tonight. If its running behind you can always crank it up a bit in the morning to 275 to help power it through, otherwise if its done a little early, you should always build in some time to let it rest anyway. If by chance its done 2+ hours early, just wrap it in a towel and throw it in a cooler.

I run butts all the time at lower temps because they produce more smoke, never had a dry 1 yet, you couldn't run something lean and thin that long but a butt is very forgiving imo

I too would run it 225-250 to start and see what your temp is early in the morning. Chances are if you aren't wrapping you are going to need a bit more time. I have had 8-9 lb butts go non wrapped for 18+ hours. You never know!

I normally smoke at 225 but I was trying to get some more smoke

looks like ya got some good info, i personally would do it ahead of time a day or a few days when ever i had the time and reheat the day of dinner. nothing wrong with what your doing but you never know what can go wrong. do you have a thermostat with an alarm that will wake you incase something goes wrong with your smoker, i don't want to be a downer but i know from experience things do happen.

I did a butt that size on Recteq today. Started 6:15 at 180 about 9:00 cranked up to 225. At noon wrapped in foil and turned up to 250. It was done at 3:15. Outside temp was 45 degrees and windy

Attachments

• IMG_8535.jpg
    IMG_8535.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8534.jpg
    IMG_8534.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky