Pulled pork Tamale pies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All of that looks amazing. I'll definitely give a few things a try. Starting with that red sauce. I have a Guatemalan friend down the road married to a white lady. Awesome people. His mother taught her how to make tamales. She brings us a pot full a couple times a year. They are phenomenal. She brings a Verde and a red sauce with them. Both authentic and very delicious. Nice work on that meal bud

Man looks fantastic!! I’m a huge fan of that type red sauce!!
Thank you Jeff.
Just remember when making the red chile sauce, DO NOT over heat the Chile. Low and slow is your friend and the flavor is out of bounds, hot and fast won’t cut it. Will get a bitter back flavor and just will never work right. Never boil the Chile. Slow to simmer for no more than an hour is fine. I do Carne Adovada but I’m careful to low and slow the process. It’s out of this world dynamite.

Reactions: jcam222
All of that looks amazing. I'll definitely give a few things a try. Starting with that red sauce. I have a Guatemalan friend down the road married to a white lady. Awesome people. His mother taught her how to make tamales. She brings us a pot full a couple times a year. They are phenomenal. She brings a Verde and a red sauce with them. Both authentic and very delicious. Nice work on that meal bud
Thank you Jake. Yes the red Chile is bomb. Just never boil it, ever. Low and slow.

One of the finest and most thorough step by steps I've ever seen, huge Like! Even though I bookmarked this doubt I'll ever get around to following thru, as much as I love it looks like it'd take me a couple of days in the kitchen. Phenomenal post! RAY
Thank You Ray. Those are kind words. Appreciate that.

Reactions: sawhorseray
All looks great! YourTamale Pie had me a bit worried. I was thinking if I made these, my crew would eat 2 or 3 of those. That would require a lot of Ramekins. ☺ I was also a little surprised there was no Onion in the Chile Sauce. A quick search and there are recipes with and without Onion. Seems the addition of Oregano and Cumin varies by family recipe as well. Thanks, I learned something new...JJ

BTW...I would love to see your Green Sauce and Pinto Bean Recipes as well.

Reactions: zwiller
I was also a little surprised there was no Onion in the Chile Sauce.
If you put onion in the red it becomes “salsa” and you can get in a little bit of trouble for doing that. I got a mild scolding for that at one family reunion. The Chile was very tasty and I was proud of my addition until it was discovered that my red Chile was actually “salsa” the word spread up and down the chow line like wildfire and my Chile was hardly touched. I learned quick.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
WOW. Thanks for posting! So much good info here. I can someone overwhelmed by the steps but I imagine all could staggered over time. Ramekin idea is great.

How does rehydrated chile sauce compare to made with ground in your opinion? I have a lot ground and prefer to use it for convenience but if large difference...

If you put onion in the red it becomes “salsa” and you can get in a little bit of trouble for doing that. I got a mild scolding for that at one family reunion. The Chile was very tasty and I was proud of my addition until it was discovered that my red Chile was actually “salsa” the word spread up and down the chow line like wildfire and my Chile was hardly touched. I learned quick.

Thirty years in the Biz and I never stop learning something new! Very cool, thanks for the cooking lesson on New Mex Red Chile Sauce...JJ👍

Reactions: SmokinEdge
WOW. Thanks for posting! So much good info here. I can someone overwhelmed by the steps but I imagine all could staggered over time. Ramekin idea is great.

How does rehydrated chile sauce compare to made with ground in your opinion? I have a lot ground and prefer to use it for convenience but if large difference...
I will post up a thread on red Chile from powder and tag you in it. This way others might find the recipe in a search.

Reactions: zwiller and tallbm
Wow someone brought up an awesome old post that I had missed. Awesome post.
My friend only had green in her green chili no tomatoes. Was good to see a post of chef jimmyj

Warren

Reactions: SmokinEdge
JJ was a great guy, and his family were great. I'm one of few who had the chance to meet him in person. He came to one of Central Ps gathering. He gave one of the greatest complements anyone could receive. I and pcfarmer made bear burgers and JJ said they were the best burgers he ever had.

Warren

JJ was a great guy, and his family were great. I'm one of few who had the chance to meet him in person. He came to one of Central Ps gathering. He gave one of the greatest complements anyone could receive. I and pcfarmer made bear burgers and JJ said they were the best burgers he ever had.

Warren
Thank you for posting about Chef JJ there Warren. I really enjoyed our conversations and his insight and responses/interaction too.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
OMG SmokinEdge SmokinEdge that is Amazing!!! What a epic meal!! I tell you the home chefs on this site always blow me away!! Awesome Job!
Thank you for that, I’m not sure what to say, other than try it yourself, it is a delicious easy way to have all that tamale flavor with less hassle.

Glad this came back around, looks amazing for sure.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky