Pulled Pork questoin???

Discussion in 'Pork' started by lennyluminum, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Last night I did some smoking, we had a fattie, 10lbs of wings, 2 whole chickens and 2 8lb. butts. everything came out great but the butts took a very very long time. We put them in the smoker at about 8:00am and we took them off at about 8:30pm at 151* wrapped them in tin foil and put them in the 250* oven for another 1 1/2 hours till they reach 190*. Is this a normal time for that size butt?

2. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I would check your smoker thermo, thats a long time for a butt.
    How was it?
    Wheres the pics? [​IMG]

3. I dont have any of the finished butt yet, but here are pics of it and the other stuff on the smoker.

4. rtom

rtom Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I've had 8lb butts in for 14 hrs so I would say its close to normal

5. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

With all that other great looking food to eat in the meantime, don't worry about the butt taking a little longer[​IMG][​IMG] . No two smokes will be exactly the same. The next butt may only take 8 or 9 hours.

6. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

yeap, bout normal with a stall............ball park for 8lbs is 12 hours, but i have personally seen stalls go 4 hours..........

7. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Heard of 18 hours for one here, I think...

8. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

yeap rich........just not to long ago in fact.........

9. jminion

jminion Meat Mopper OTBS Member

As a rule of thumb butts will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours a pound, 12 hours isn't bad for 8 pounders. Looking at what you had on the cooker you could have started out low to put on smoke and then raised pit temp when the fattie and chicken went on, that would have sped up the cook.

10. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

that is a long time. What temp were you smoking at, that makes alot of difference. As stated all butts are different. I just did an 8 lber that took around 7 1/2 hours. Wrapping in foil around the 160 to 170º internal temp area will speed up the process also.

[​IMG]

This was around the 5 hour mark.

11. the temp was pretty much between 220*-240*

12. pinkmeat

pinkmeat Smoking Fanatic

With that much stuff on the smoker, you may have needed a little more heat maybe? Looked like a good meal though...

13. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hey Flash, I likes the look of that scored butt......my friend![​IMG] was it done then or just time to foil.? Gots a pretty color for sure.

14. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

OK dumb a$$ alert, I just read the rest of your post, 5 hrs, and lookin sweet![​IMG]