Pulled Pork - Complete Disaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry I didn't get to this thread sooner... better late than never.

I have felt your pain brother! It took me awhile to figure out that each piece of meat cooks different; they all reach their own plateau. Forget about pounds, think temperature and starting time.

The first couple of events I did pulled pork for, I almost lost my crowd, due to poor timing and lack of knowledge. Luckily, a good friend and smokin' buddy cured me of my ills, headed me down the correct path and now, all is well. I now smoke the day before the event whenever possible, or pull an all-nighter. I pay alot of attention to the temperatures and know when the plateau hits. I also let the meat get to room temp before it hits the grate.

Storing the pulled pork overnight in the fridge really enhances the flavor... it marinates in its own juices, plus I add a reserve of mop to it. I just heat it up the next day and viola! There's a bunch of happy bellies and smilin' faces!

.........Hey the same thing happened to me Saturday. I started my shoulder to smoke at 7:30AM and thought it would be ready by 6:30 or so. WRONGO.. it plateaued for 4 hrs. and I finished it at 10:30 PM. Don't be discouraged...try another, maybe a butt this time.
PDT_Armataz_01_21.gif

low n' slow, I also have MES .. I always preheat it for a least a hour, giving time for your water pan to heat.. i have found is not to go by the units tempature gauge by it's self, it could be off up to 25 degrees, get yourself remote thermometer .... good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky