Propane source

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
A co-worker was asking me what to do with an old propane tank that was coming up to it's "due date". It had the old valve with no external R/H threads and no OPD. I told him that I have gone from waiting for a gas station attendant to just doing the exchange at Home Depot. 

Now, the last time I went to the service station the only guy in the store said, "You'll have to wait 30 minutes for [other employee] to get back from lunch". I was not only furious but I really let the kid know that I am a customer and I do not have to wait for anything. If you can't sell it now, then you will not sell it at all. I promptly went to HD and paid a little more for the exchange, but I received a full tank and was on my way in a matter of minutes. I've been doing it since..

My co-worker cannot get over the fact that he will not get HIS tank back. I cannot convince him that a tank is a tank.. He definitely has no experience with welding gasses and the like..

I feel your pain. Instead of driving 30 miles for an exchange there is a gas station 10 miles away that will refill. It used to be great, go in, pay, fill and go home. But now every time I go in, there is nobody there that can refill my tank. So I end up having to pay for the fill and leave my tank at the store overnight and my wife picks it up on the way home from work the next day. Not a huge deal now that I know what to expect but jeez!

I feel your pain. Instead of driving 30 miles for an exchange there is a gas station 10 miles away that will refill. It used to be great, go in, pay, fill and go home. But now every time I go in, there is nobody there that can refill my tank. So I end up having to pay for the fill and leave my tank at the store overnight and my wife picks it up on the way home from work the next day. Not a huge deal now that I know what to expect but jeez!
That stinks. Better make sure you have plenty of gas before you start a cook ...

We can keep this a poll even though the poll function is having a hard time.. I take this as a +1 for the service station given the cicumstances.

Last edited:
I can get a 20#er filled for $9.00. The tank exchange near me is $17.00.. The only time it use the exchange is to get rid of a out of date tank

Although the last exchange I did, I didn't check the date on the tank untill I hot home and Wes hooking it up to start cooking.. it was older than the one I swapped out..

Jeez! $9.00 for a fill. Last I filled I think it was about $15.

I don't use a lot of gas, mainly for burgers and brats and stuff so if I somehow run out on accident I'll either light a small fire, or just throw the dang burgers under the oven broiler.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky