Propane Hose in Homemade Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Question: when you say "..a second diffuser" where is your other one? Is the water pan acting as the first diffuser?
My first diffuser is a 12” cast iron pan on top the burner this is also where I place wood chunks for smoke. The second one is actually large aluminum pans that act as a diffuser, drip pan to keep drippage away from fire and as a water pan.

15AB6CCC-C8C9-4E62-8A25-5CCF92CDCD27.jpeg

I assume from the photo that since you have a Stainless Steel flex connector for piping you are running at low pressure of 11" WC as opposed to 10 PSI? If you are on 11" I would suggest you put a standing pilot with a thermopile (700 MV) and a compatible thermostatic gas valve that has a safety shut-off built in or in conjunction with a separate safety valve. Think gas range oven or gas heater. I would use something like a Robertshaw BJ commercial oven valve or heater vavle. This would give you good temp control and safety in one set-up. No outside power needed.
Something like this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/2955951642...VKtLp8IkHDId6YX6z5tiwkxw==|tkp:Bk9SR_Sz56bqYQ

Using a pilot like this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/2252353169...raoXqPrbtesGB+K8nRvPlT0g==|tkp:Bk9SR_K2m6fqYQ

I assume from the photo that since you have a Stainless Steel flex connector for piping you are running at low pressure of 11" WC as opposed to 10 PSI? If you are on 11" I would suggest you put a standing pilot with a thermopile (700 MV) and a compatible thermostatic gas valve that has a safety shut-off built in or in conjunction with a separate safety valve. Think gas range oven or gas heater. I would use something like a Robertshaw BJ commercial oven valve or heater vavle. This would give you good temp control and safety in one set-up. No outside power needed.
Something like this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/295595164223?epid=1786009908&hash=item44d2d8423f:g:U6wAAOSwSlpkJa8w&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAwOC5c/U6e/hjYlUXNdFxyIcNX6AW0Rzo0cHwLH0m7+ueOdFaw9X/IH7IwtT0g/ESfHtKnVgGgjCtWTcszdy0QZoS1mCplL9/eNU54QkwMf3RZGNF4rXQe4O9kCuv/8XNYtw5DXLlyKEhA/nxRMdXmaxkZMyjuxWGM7r7IeQ2QNwvG1CumwBchZnPHNpaAdac0zhgsDQre+ieV/ufdfWIYewQ3gkrvP/Xyu6J99osItVKtLp8IkHDId6YX6z5tiwkxw==|tkp:Bk9SR_Sz56bqYQ

Using a pilot like this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/225235316932?hash=item34711230c4:g:uxQAAOSwOkpjY-WX&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8Jd4J+RtnTZyt24XidY3vrmkTN0SND7mO3ngeWF2AbI2DWyOw+88HGZWlC67GPFmEnkrBY8Vsp2awI5FUR7Z0BoGZgdwGSI777Aqisj1ROZemVP3MWS/WWtwvLo9ARWTZrV190bnE16vO9X0Vlj56O10jSsM5pvxt0QMywidiAKOiBlz/4SUXy5IwvIBGZ5mvVkGyBxZUVgAn+ku6PhDI5w/NcHyMK1sbLynqzrpKwv7DILlNIgi0aBvyQgEphW3YYTqGHj1qpoGLPu/VnaYWzGmrg96jY9zj8BDFARYaoraoXqPrbtesGB+K8nRvPlT0g==|tkp:Bk9SR_K2m6fqYQ

I have the Tejas smokers regulator assy:

COMRI-60 - ADJUSTABLE 0-60 psi High Pressure Propane Regulator and Pressure Gauge assembly, includes a POL propane tank fitting, a pressure gauge, and 1/4 ID UL approved hose.

I want to make a control system that opens a gas valve to the burner like the one below:

I plan on using an electric spark ignitor system for ignition.

I am just wondering what vale I could use for this kind of system.

I can't open the e-bay page. Is there another source?

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

The reason I assumed you were running low pressure is because the standard SS flex connectors are only rated for 1/2 PSI pressure.

How many pounds per square inch (PSI) are approved for Dormont connectors?​

Dormont connectors, and all other gas appliance connectors, are approved for use up to ½ psig maximum operating pressure.

My first diffuser is a 12” cast iron pan on top the burner this is also where I place wood chunks for smoke. The second one is actually large aluminum pans that act as a diffuser, drip pan to keep drippage away from fire and as a water pan.

View attachment 662245
That is a great idea. We will work on doing something similar.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky