Propane connection for Northern Tool Burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wazoo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Redmond, WA
I am just getting started on my smokehouse after a lot of time and review of many of the smokers that have been shown on this and a couple of other sites.  I will be taking lots of pictures and posting them as it comes along.  It is going to be very similar to the ones that Babysmokologist built and also the one that Harvest122 just posted.  It will have a smoke chamber that is 4 ft x 24" x 20" and be insulated.  It will have adjustable inlet vents and dampened exhaust chimneys.  I want to be sure that I have enough control of the Northern 35K btu heater on the low end to keep temperatures around 125 - 150 for sausage but not have the burner flame go out to create a propane bomb.  I know there are a lot of people on this site with that burner.  Does it work better to pipe directly to my propane source or is it better to have a connection with a needle valve like the Bayou Classic connection?

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/m5hpr1_propane_regulator.htm

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.  The burner is on its way so I need to decide how I am going to connect it.

Thanks

Wazoo, I have a needle valve between my regulator and burner and have found it to be a very useful tool for controling the burner, much better than the knobs on the burner itself.  The one you linked to in your post is a high pressure regulator (10psi) and says it is for 55,000-60,000btu, and your burner is only 35,000.  I think you need a low pressure regulator (5psi) for your burner, but I would still reccomend a needle valve.  I am by no means an expert on this but I think the one you linked may produce too many btu's for the Northern Tool 35k burner. 

Harvest122,

Thanks for the reply.  The connector that I referenced was one that BabySmokologist suggested because I think that was what he is using.  I will check to see what size connector is recommended.  I do like the thought of the flexible Stainless Steel covered hose. It will allow me to move the burner a bit inside the house if I need it.  It sounds like the needle valve is the way to go.  How low of temperatures can you consistently run with that burner in your house?

Wazoo

Honestly I'm not real sure only been using it for a couple weeks now and here in Minnesota its been around 10 degrees when I've been smoking.  I feal there wouldn't be any issues keeping it down around 140-150, as long as your burner is a little protected from gusts coming through the inlets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky