Processing Day 2021

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey tallbm....great read on Trich, in wild game. Really helped set my mind at ease....

https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

As it happens, the trichinae parasite is extremely rare in wild game and it is even more rare for anyone to become sick with trichinosis from eating game. According to a Centers for Disease Control study that surveyed incidence of the disease from 2008 to 2012, there were only 84 cases of trichinosis in all of America. Of those, 43 were eating wild game. That’s 43 people in a five-year period, and 30 of those 43 were in one incident, an unfortunate party I’ll describe in detail later. Consider that number when you think of the millions of people who eat wild game every year.
And..
Texas hogs appear to be largely free of the parasite, according to this research.

Well, My buddy brought 3 deer home from the turf farm hunt. And there's been another 3 deer killed by our group at the deer camp. That's 20 deer and 3 wild hogs so far. Will definitely be doing 2 separate processing days.

Jut got a text from my cousin, his daughter shot a cow horn spike (main beams only; 15" spread, no points) this morning. So that makes 21.

Last edited:
Dad shot a buck this morning, first buck in 10 years for him. Has a broken right main beam...
IMG_1529.jpg

Last edited:
Nice man, glad he could score a buck!
Thanks tallbm, yeah I too am glad he killed a buck this season. I just talked to my brother, they shot 3 does this weekend as well for deer herd management so now the total is 24 deer, 3 wild hogs. Definitely doing 2 processing days!

The cooler is full. When are you cutting meat. Awsome harvest.
I helped my cousin process/package one deer tonight. All the meat for ground went into one big vac seal bag. We are breaking down the other 4 tomorrow at the firehouse, he is on shift.

Processing day will be scheduled tomorrow...I'm hoping to have it weekend after valentines day. And hope we have a cold day for it....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So, My friend's buddy decided to process his own deer meat this year. He bought a grinder and stuffer; wanted to do his own blends-venison/pork jalapeno and cheese smoke sausage and some pineapple from a kit he bought. He harvested 7 deer so that takes our total down to 17 deer and 3 hogs for processing this year. We plan on doing it all in one day.
I picked up 1000 1# wild game meat bags for the breakfast sausage and the ground meat. Got those for $40 instead of paying $12/100 locally. Also picked up one of those meat bag tape machines for $15. That will speed things up some. It's looking like close to 600# of finished product once we are done.

So, My friend's buddy decided to process his own deer meat this year. He bought a grinder and stuffer; wanted to do his own blends-venison/pork jalapeno and cheese smoke sausage and some pineapple from a kit he bought. He harvested 7 deer so that takes our total down to 17 deer and 3 hogs for processing this year. We plan on doing it all in one day.
I picked up 1000 1# wild game meat bags for the breakfast sausage and the ground meat. Got those for $40 instead of paying $12/100 locally. Also picked up one of those meat bag tape machines for $15. That will speed things up some. It's looking like close to 600# of finished product once we are done.

Nice to hear the workload has lightened a bit, it always helps.
yeah the 1k 1pound bags are a great price.

If you dont mind me asking what style of poly bags do you have?
I have some that look like this:
s-l500.jpg

I ask because I've been looking for someone to trade some bags with to get some blue pork, and some red beef bags for a total of 3 different colors for different grind.

I figure if 3 people would buy 1k of each type they could swap to have a good amount of all 3 hahaha.

If anyone ever gets interested in a swap deal let me know :)

Finally, dude the tape bag machine is a life saver. The only way to go for me. Hog rings are the devil! hahahhaa

I just bought 3 different colors of tape, that way you can tell what is in it from the color of the tape at a glance. Mine look like that. but are black ink on white bags.

I just bought 3 different colors of tape, that way you can tell what is in it from the color of the tape at a glance. Mine look like that. but are black ink on white bags.

Oh good thinking!!
I just found an option for opaque white, clear, and I think they had plain white as well.
If I did white bags I could write on them. Also I could combo up with colored tape like you are doing.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Picked up 50# of pork back fat trim this afternoon for the deer processing day.
IMG_20210217_132828.jpg

Had a change of plans. My cousin's wife's family Christmas Party was postponed due to Covid. They scheduled it for this weekend, so he is out. I am doing my friend's meat this weekend (5 deer and 2 hogs), and we will do the rest of it next weekend when my cousin is on shift at the firehouse.

For my friend:
80# venison/ pork smoke sausage
70# deer/ pork ground meat
50# wild hog smoke sasuage

Reactions: tallbm
Well, got my friend's processing done for him. Made 67# grind stuffed in 1# bags. Ended up with 75# deer/wild hog/ domestic pork smoke sausage and 54# wild hog/ domestic pork smoke sausage. Did first grind Saturday with seasoning, salt, cure #1, and phosphates added, mixed, and then put into meat lugs for 24 hours. Second grind Sunday, milk powder and added water mixed in, stuffed into 32-35mm hog casing, bagged and in fridge. Smoked them today.

Loaded up in the smokehouse to dry casings...
IMG_20210223_090504.jpg

Smoked with pecan and cherry to 140*F INT and held for 1.5 hours,
IMG_20210223_200643.jpg

quench in ice water to stop cooking. Bagged and back in the fridge overnight, will cut and vac pack tomorrow night at the firehouse. all pork on top, venison/pork on bottom...

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky