Prime top sirloin roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All, I was at BJs yesterday and saw this USDA Prime top sirloin roast for $7.99/lb. I've only ever dealt with top sirloin as a steak - a little tougher than a strip but great beefy flavor. What would you do with this thing if you bought it? I didn't buy it (yet) looking for ideas ;)

-WR

Attachments

• 20200219_144517.jpg
    20200219_144517.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: kruizer
Hey All, I was at BJs yesterday and saw this USDA Prime top sirloin roast for $7.99/lb. I've only ever dealt with top sirloin as a steak - a little tougher than a strip but great beefy flavor. What would you do with this thing if you bought it? I didn't buy it (yet) looking for ideas ;)

-WR
Do you have a Sous vide? I’d do something low and slow like that.

Reactions: sawhorseray
LoH1v.jpg

lJM9T.jpg

That is a big roast! I buy the ones in the 4 pound size for the classic Italian beef sandwiches (or a more basic French dip sandwich), which are the bomb to make for work, a pot luck or an easy dinner. In a nutshell, season and smoke to 125 - 130, chill the roast overnight, slice very thin and reheat in aujus or a thin gravy and serve on a roll with giardiniera. The reheating can take place in a Crock Pot and everyone can build their own sandwiches. For work I use the wide mouth styro cups if people want to eat them French dip style. Kings Hawaiian rolls are an option to the larger rolls.

Just a month or so ago I watched this MALCOM REED video and he uses a pan of broth under the roast, which I need to try. My broth begins with Minor's Beef, and Minor's AuJus, but does not have the smokey flavor. Even though Malcom's written recipe is straight forward, watch the video too, it's a good one.

LoH1v.jpg

lJM9T.jpg

That is a big roast! I buy the ones in the 4 pound size for the classic Italian beef sandwiches (or a more basic French dip sandwich), which are the bomb to make for work, a pot luck or an easy dinner. In a nutshell, season and smoke to 125 - 130, chill the roast overnight, slice very thin and reheat in aujus or a thin gravy and serve on a roll with giardiniera. The reheating can take place in a Crock Pot and everyone can build their own sandwiches. For work I use the wide mouth styro cups if people want to eat them French dip style. Kings Hawaiian rolls are an option to the larger rolls.

Just a month or so ago I watched this MALCOM REED video and he uses a pan of broth under the roast, which I need to try. My broth begins with Minor's Beef, and Minor's AuJus, but does not have the smokey flavor. Even though Malcom's written recipe is straight forward, watch the video too, it's a good one.
That looks tasty!!

Do you have a Sous vide? I’d do something low and slow like that.

I agree, a nice long sous vide bath would make it plenty tender enough to eat with a knife and fork. It's a pretty expensive cut just to slice up for sandwich meat, you can get sirloin tip and eye of round for less than half that price. RAY

That's a good idea. I've been wanting to do a roast beast and the GF gave me a slicer for Christmas ;)

Thanks for the Malcom vid, I haven't watched any of his in a while but they're always good.

I too bought a sirloin tip roast and now I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking I could cook it long and slow and shred it like a pork butt. Would that work?

Reactions: MNBrownie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky