prime rib question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
merto detroit, michigan
Picked up a 7 bone prime rib. waaayyyy to much for us. Would it be better to cook the whole thing, slice, then freeze the most rare pieces to be heated on the grill later, or, divide it and freeze before cooking. thx

If it was me I would split it between the 3 and 4 rib, do one and have the other for another time. Its always better first time than reheated.

My opinion
Corey

Reactions: rippper
There's always parting it out to a roast, some boneless ribeye steaks, and beef ribs. You get a lot of great meals that way. RAY

DSCN0928.JPG

I think the rule of thumb is one bone for every two people, so that should determine where to slice it. Also, we're talking Christmas dinner right? Your guests deserve the best. So I would slice from the chuck end which is the end with the huge spinalis. The meat will be a bit more marbled, a bit more tender, plus everybody gets a nice piece of that wonderful ribeye cap.

Good luck

Reheating a cooked rib roast is a no go!! Divide into two roasts or cook what you can indulge on and make the rest into some great steaks for future use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky