Prime Rib pre smoke questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluebombersfan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
I'm looking to smoke a prime rib roast for a large group of people this sat. I have done a few prime ribs but every time I have made them I cooked to temp and rested on the counter uncovered. With this large group these prime ribs are going to have to rest in a cooler and be transported to the event. I am worried that the cooler rest could carry on and overcook these. Any recommendations on a temp to cook to get these to med and med rare with an hour cooler rest? Last thing I want to do is overcook these for my guests. I am looking to cook 2 at Med and 2 at med rare.

How long do you normally rest uncovered before slicing? Maybe go ahead and do the resting like normal and then wrap and place in a cooler. Should still be plenty warm by serving time but not warm enough to keep on cooking. Ive never done it this way but just an idea

I recently pulled a 5 bone and put it right into a cooler wrapped in a blanket. It went up 14 more degrees in 5 or 6 hours. I was somewhat shocked at the amount it rose. I should have left the probe in it while it was in the cooler. That way I could regulate with the lid.. It was medium and great for the medium lovers whom out numbered me. I would prefer R or MR.. I hope this helps.

Cook as normal if it is low an slow you will not have much carry over,if you tent them in the cooler.
Richie

Yeah, sear first then slow cook on low so carry over won't be an issue.

I would pull them around 120-125. Temp might rise 5-10 which should get you perfect on the PR. Good luck let us know how it turns out!

John pretty much has you covered. I was thinking pull the medium rare one at around 128 and the medium one around 132. Either of these recommendations should get you pretty darn close to what you're looking for. The external temp of the meat will be considerably higher than the internal temp so they will cook a bit more sitting in a cooler all wrapped up. Keep us posted....

Fingers X'ed for you,
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
People who cook Prime Rib with a High Smoker Temp could see carry-over more than 10°, so you have to allow for that.
However I Smoke mine with a Smoker Temp of 220°, and I get a Beautiful Bark, and mine only carry over 2° or 3° at the most.

Bear

Reactions: ELKHNTR
People who cook Prime Rib with a High Smoker Temp could see carry-over more than 10°, so you have to allow for that.
However I Smoke mine with a Smoker Temp of 220°, and I get a Beautiful Bark, and mine only carry over 2° or 3° at the most.

Bear

I agree with this.

Chris

Thanks everyone for the replies! I will post some pics of the cook!

Bear
Thanks for the advice Bear!

John pretty much has you covered. I was thinking pull the medium rare one at around 128 and the medium one around 132. Either of these recommendations should get you pretty darn close to what you're looking for. The external temp of the meat will be considerably higher than the internal temp so they will cook a bit more sitting in a cooler all wrapped up. Keep us posted....

Fingers X'ed for you,
Robert
Thank you!

I started smoking the prime rib-eye (11 lbs with 6 ribs) on my LG Champion Pro smoker. I read 35 min per pound and someone else said 45 min per pound. I want it medium rare, so I opted cooler temp for 45 min which is over 8 hrs. My thermometer started reading the temp ahead of schedule when I had it at 225, so I moved the meat up to my top chamber where the temp is at 160. it's noon, and dinner is at 5PM and the meater is reading at 104.

My question is: If I leave the rib-eye in the top chamber and get the temp down to 120, wouldn't the meat stay at 120 since the ambient air would be at that temp? If so, I could leave it in that chamber until 4PM and take it out and put it in a cooler until dinner time.

Thoughts?

Well it's probably too late for us to help but here's a few thoughts.
First, pellet grills are like convection ovens so they will cook food faster than a typical smoker or oven.
Next, I don't know how long your total cook time has been, but you need to be careful about holding meat for a long time in the danger zone, particularly if you're not going to be cooking it to a high finishing temp. Intact meats are less of a problem, but you still need to minimize the danger zone time.
You also don't want to hold it too long because as a convection oven, it will tend to dry out the surface of the meat. Wrapping can help.

Finally, in the future you should probably start a new post rather than tagging on to an old one if you need an answer in a hurry as folks are more likely to read it.

Reactions: brycrob
I started smoking the prime rib-eye (11 lbs with 6 ribs) on my LG Champion Pro smoker. I read 35 min per pound and someone else said 45 min per pound. I want it medium rare, so I opted cooler temp for 45 min which is over 8 hrs. My thermometer started reading the temp ahead of schedule when I had it at 225, so I moved the meat up to my top chamber where the temp is at 160. it's noon, and dinner is at 5PM and the meater is reading at 104.

My question is: If I leave the rib-eye in the top chamber and get the temp down to 120, wouldn't the meat stay at 120 since the ambient air would be at that temp? If so, I could leave it in that chamber until 4PM and take it out and put it in a cooler until dinner time.

Thoughts?

Prime Rib doesn't go by Pounds when timing.
It goes by "Thickness":
You can have a 5 pound Prime Rib that can take 4 hours to Smoke.
Then you can have a 12 pound Prime Rib that is the same thickness as the 5 pounder was, and it might only take 4 1/2 or 5 hours to get to the same Internal Temp as the 5 pounder.

Bear

Reactions: brycrob and ELKHNTR
Prime Rib doesn't go by Pounds when timing.
It goes by "Thickness":
You can have a 5 pound Prime Rib that can take 4 hours to Smoke.
Then you can have a 12 pound Prime Rib that is the same thickness as the 5 pounder was, and it might only take 4 1/2 or 5 hours to get to the same Internal Temp as the 5 pounder.

Bear

Thanks for the reply guys. I turned off the heat completely and left the meat in the top warming chamber. Chamber held heat at 115 and internal temp was at 131. About 30 min before I needed it, I took it out and put it in a cooler and wrapped it in foil and a blanket. It turned out great. Nice and medium rare.

I was very surprised how quickly it cooked vs. my old vertical smoker. I never knew wood pellet smokers cook faster due to convection.

Happy Holidays.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky