Prime rib cooking time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

light-it-up

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Hey guys-

I'm about to start on the infamous Bearcarver recipe (YUM) but with a much larger piece of meat.

Of course I'll be cooking to an internal temperature, but just for estimating purposes, if his 5 lb prime rib took 5-1/2 hours, about what do you think an 8-1/2 pounder would take?

That could be an issue.

You could always cut the roast in half, that way you have two 4lb pieces. Should cook quicker. Another benefit of that is that you would get twice as many end cuts for those who prefer them.

To this question, I'm smoking (2) 10 lbs on my MES tomorrow.  We want to eat at 1pm, so I reckon I'll fire up the smoker about 4am to give time for rest, au jus, etc?

Any suggestions?

Don't inject, and don't probe the roast with anything, like a temp probe for the first two hours at 230˚, and you don't have to worry about the danger zone.

After that sterilize your meat probe & insert it into the center of your roast.

Bear

Hey guys-

I'm about to start on the infamous Bearcarver recipe (YUM) but with a much larger piece of meat.

Of course I'll be cooking to an internal temperature, but just for estimating purposes, if his 5 lb prime rib took 5-1/2 hours, about what do you think an 8-1/2 pounder would take?
Bearcarver's Prime Rib took 4 hours to get to pulling temp (11:30 to 3:30).

Time before that was pre-heating, and time after was holding until Supper Time.

Bear

Don't inject, and don't probe the roast with anything, like a temp probe for the first two hours at 230˚, and you don't have to worry about the danger zone.

After that sterilize your meat probe & insert it into the center of your roast.

Bear
Exactly then then meat falls into the Intact Muscle Rule which says that only the outer .5" need reach 140 in under 4 hours. Personally I have never had one take an hour per pound I find it more like around 40 minutes per pound to get to rare which is where I usually pull them off the smoker

Last edited:
Is there a better chance of the meat drying out if a cut it into two 4lb pieces?

As short a smoke as it is it should not dry out

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky