Potato soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
This is a fall to spring favorite around the house.
Hard to give a recipe as we cook by feel.
Garden red potatoes washed and diced to fill the Dutch oven about 2/3 and boil until mostly cooked through. We don't peel
IMG_2768.JPG
Drain water and move potatoes to a separate vessel.

Now for the rest of the ingredients
IMG_2769.JPG
Diced onion and butter in Dutch oven and sauté to clear, soft, and tender.
Add flour to make a roux. I guess 1/2 cup flour.

Previously diced and cooked out bacon (I prefer thicker ends and pieces) but not crisp. We did about 2# bacon.

Add potatoes, bacon and stock to pot with sautéed onions in roux. Bring to simmer. Add pepper (cracked white is best, mixed is good)
There is more than enough salt in the bacon for us, but add more if desired.

If the thickness is good add about 1/2 to 3/4 pint of the heavy cream.

Simmer for a few minutes to meld the flavors and textures.

IMG_2767.JPG

Take photo of the leftovers because you were too hungry to get one of the full Dutch oven.

Thanks for looking

Looks delicious from here. I make about the same but I use diced ham instead of bacon and I don’t do a rue anymore just heavy cream and a little milk or water for consistency then simmer to reduce. Either way so delicious. We love it.

Reactions: Fueling Around
We love potato soup, but I've quit cooking it. Our daughter does an amazing job of cooking it and cooks it about once or twice a month so we get our fill at their house...:emoji_grin: Even all of the kids in our family and extended family love it...

Reactions: Fueling Around
Looks really good from here. I like creamy type soups.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks tasty! Funny how fast that soup disappears! Having soups at MIL house tomorrow...it's between potato soup or ham and bean soup.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky